White Peach Jelly said 11 years ago:

Share what you’re reading and help others meet their next favourite book!

Just finished “How I Live Now” by Meg Rosoff.

I loved it, I couldn’t put it down. Very dramatic, beautifully written. Highly recommended!

Deleted User said 11 years ago:

I’m currently making my way through the book:

The Horologicon: A Day’s Jaunt Through the Lost Words of the English Language.

It might sound a little strange, or even boring, but it’s really well written and I guess it interests me because I love the English language and peculiar words in general. It sounds like it’s a dictionary, but it’s not. It’s written more like a book and flows really well, some of it even makes me laugh because of how silly it is. Not really a book you’d sit and read like a novel but if you’re interested in that sort of thing I really do recommend it!

(◣_◢)Poet said 11 years ago:

Lately i’ve been reading “Letters to a Young Poet” by Rainer Maria Rilke. It has been like my bible for a while now. I recommend it to everyone.

I’m currently reading “Landscapes of Memory” by Ruth Kluger. It’s about her experiences as a Jewish child in the Holocaust, including being in Theresienstadt Ghetto, and Auschwitz. She writes a lot about people’s attitudes towards her -both as a child in Nazi-occupied Austria and as an adult, her past, and the holocaust, which I’ve found really interesting, as lots of books with regards to the Holocaust concentrate solely on the survivor’s time in the camp, and not coping with the effects it has had on them since. It’s a subject I find morbidly fascinating and something that should never be forgotten. I definitely recommend this book and have plenty of other related recommendations!

Sentinel said 11 years ago:

The Kingkiller series and the Sword of Truth series. I am a huge sucker for fantasy

Currently reading “Rupture” by Simon Lelic (also known as “A Thousand Cuts” – hate when books get different names in different Englis-speaking countries..). I love dramatic books, this is about a school shooting at the hands of a teacher, but instead of demonising the shooter it goes a bit deeper to find out why he did what he did. One of the main themes is bullying. I like it so far, not a page-turner but it’s flowing pretty well.

Hey @katie-goodair have you ever read “The Book Thief” by Markus Zusak? I’m also pretty interested in the Holocaust theme (I’m an history major, and as I said above, I like dramatic things…) but that book just didn’t do it for me. Everyone was out there raving about how good it is, and what a classic it will become….but I was so disappointed…

Creature from Jekyll Island

I’m reading “And another thing…” by Eoin Colfer, aka. book 6 of Douglas Adams’ Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series.

Ruhoodenough said 11 years ago:

I’m reading Lock and Key by Sara Denson. It’s a good book, i can kind of relate to it c:

I’m reading Cinders by Marissa Meyer. A sci-fi/fantasy version on Cinderella, and though I’m not big on fairytales, or rewrites of them, this on was amazing.

Swifting said 11 years ago:

The Red Tent – Anita Diamant

Laura said 11 years ago:

Right now i’m working on Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card. It’s a sort-of sequel to Enders Game.

Academic77 said 11 years ago:

I am reading The Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng. I purchase the entire Booker Prize short list every year and read it. This is the fourth of the six I have started. I’m enjoying it and think it is potentially the best (even though it didn’t win). I usually have two books on the go at any one time: one piece of fiction, one of non-fiction.

BubbleGun said 11 years ago:

The Pantheon by Sam bourne.
I find his writing very enjoyable to read. Even the most mundane things are described in a way that makes me want to go on reading.