Miza ツ said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I didn’t like this book. I think the suicide was pointless. Just… *facepalm*
I mean, I can see she had the option to move over. Start anew. But she committed suicide. I just dont get the point. When God is giving you chances, then why not take them? -_-

P.S It’s no spoiler! The whole in based on the REASONS WHY. And on the first page and the back cover , it’s mentioned that she does commit suicide. So..yea.

Deleted User said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Well i was pretty upset that she decided to commit suicide especially when she could have talked to Clay, who also happens to be my favourite character.
But i guess she was too tired of life and of being falsely accused. In a way don’t you think that her death helps them actually realize their mistake and also helps to save Skye’s life.
I guess this is what happens when you are unable to have access to sites like blahtherapy.

Bunny. said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I read this after a friend I made online recommended it. I read it in a few hours, and I’ll be honest… I sortof hated it. I didn’t like the rape part. I didn’t really understand the point of the book either. I felt like it was a pretty sloppy plot line, idk. It just felt very random. And I didn’t like the author’s approach to suicide. (Treating suicide like a game and the like.)

Miza ツ said 9 years, 10 months ago:

How did it help save Skye’s life? Her death.

Bunny:

Yes, exactly. :/
I mean when life’s giving you a choice to start over, why aren’t u taking it? :|
It’s never to late to say “This is not how it will end.”

emmie said 9 years, 8 months ago:

I read the book years ago so I don’t remember it in great detail, but I agree the storyline was really sloppy and the suicide wasn’t dealt with appropriately. There was no real reason for the main character to include Clay in her tapes. It was clearly torture for him wondering what he possibly done to her to cause her to commit suicide. She even said she liked him and knew he was a good person, so why not open up to him? She totally gave up on herself, it’s a really bad message to send to kids who are having a hard time.
I also hated the fact that it was like she was putting all these people through some kind of sick test, like when she changed her hair and the debate suggestion in class. You shouldn’t manipulate people like that, it’s like opening Pandora’s Box. Be straightforward with people and honest about how you feel and chances are you’ll get a lot more help that way. Really really awful book.

caucus13 said 9 years, 8 months ago:

I read the book a little over a year ago and I totally agree- the suicide was pointlss. And yes it is a bad message for the impressionable age of society.
However I have to say that for a storyline so serious yet so foolish…….the book was very well-written. The writer definitely had a way with words. Normally half-way through the book I would have thrown it in the trash- but I didn’t. The raw emotion of the dialogues, the picture they created kept me hooked.

Hearmenow said 9 years, 8 months ago:

I think that the book reflected the subject perfectly, there is nothing rational about committing suicide, and one might drive oneself crazy trying to understand the reasons. They are looking for logic, in an action that has none.

But yes, I agree that there could have been another outcome. But that wasn’t what it was about, someone nearly dying. I think it was more about the lesson, which people can translate into whatever they want.

Deleted User said 9 years, 5 months ago:

I felt bad she had to commit suicide but I knew it from the start so I wasn’t given much time to actually get attached and get upset at the beginning. I did get upset in the end that such a good person/ character had to go off and do that… If only she confided in Clay! ._.

Cloudyblue72 said 9 years, 4 months ago:

I actually really liked it. It annoys me that by the last few tapes she had already given up trying to get help, despite what she says, but I still thought it was really good.

Maybe i’m the only one in the post that has been suicidal, so perhaps that’s why I can understand why she did it. Who would want to go their lives being sexually harassed and assaulted every daily? Feeling like there’s no one that cares, and no matter what you do, nothing helps? She just wanted relief from it all.

I do agree, though, that if she actually wanted help she could’ve gotten it. Clay would’ve been more than willing, and honestly what did she expect the guidance counselor to say? He was doing his best, and she wasn’t working with him.