Nina RedHarp said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Hi fellow Bookworms, love y’all!
i have this project to design a costume for a character on stage (for a fashion course im taking). I want to do something big and impressive but i dont have any ideas so far…Maybe you guys can help me think of something? It can be from a book, from a rare ancient tale, from a movie or even a tv series! Any ideas?
Thanks!!! :)

Girl with a Secret said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Oooh it would be cool to dress up as the greek Godess Artemis!

Jess said 10 years, 6 months ago:

I don’t really know what you’re aiming for, like high-fashion/realistic/fantasy/male/female/pre-defined character etc. But a fun one could be the girl from the animated Atlantis movie. That’s the first thing that comes to mind. Or Hermione’s dress from Harry Potter’s dress at the ball, the pink one. Any kind of Disney Princess dress. Alice in Wonderland. American McGee’s Alice. I’m coming up blank, but I hope this helps a little at least.

Deleted User said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Hmm anything as expressive and vibrant as possible.

JD said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Maybe try a character from The Hunger Games.

Isabelle said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Effie Trinket from the Hunger Games has a lot of creative costumes:)

Deleted User said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Take a really dark/sad fairy tale or poem. The ideas I’m about to suggest are going to take a long time btw but hope they help :) )

The Raven, Edgar Allen Poe
-entire dress is black, bodice is basically entirely made of shiny black feathers. Skirt can maybe flutter around the legs, if you know what I mean? And the longer the better. Halter neck (the chocker should have some bright adornment) and the dress should be as backless as possible.

The Happy Prince, Oscar Wilde
You could maybe do a paired costume? It’d take ages though. Anyway in Happy Prince, the Happy Prince tells a little bird to give everything of his to the poor of the village, and he ends up losing his gem eyes, the ruby in his sword hilt, and eventually even his golden skin. The bird dies and the statue is melted down. Anyway the theme could be to try and show how beautiful simplicity is (if you can be bothered making two costumes). i.e. make a really extravagant golden/yellow costume, then a really simple, graceful silver/white/grey costume.

Pocahontas (okay so it’s not sad or dark. It can still be awesome! :D )
The main theme for this would be a MASSIVE headpiece. Made of feathers or something sort of tribal like that, where the back of the headpiece is actually dragging on the ground.

The Nightingale and the Rose, Oscar Wilde
He is so good at writing depressing stories. Anyway for this one just a plain-ish, golden brown-ish dress, simple and chic, with a long tail (not literally) trailing on the ground a little like a nightingale’s. I’m not sure how but around the chest area you have to incorporate a bloody colour somehow. Maybe a dark red ribbon, maybe an ombre from red to brown. This symbolizes the nightingale piercing her heart to make the rose. Also if possible, the model’s makeup should focus on really red lips (because the nightingale sings to make the rose).

Umm I can’t really come up with any other depressing stories, and I don’t really want to. But for dramatic and big, you could also base it on an obscure Japanese folktale. There’s things like the bamboo princess etc. and they’re all pretty good. If you do a Japanese one you can create a beautiful kimono-esque dress with an intricate ‘bow’ at the back. If you do a Chinese one you could incorporate a massive headpiece (with things dangling from it), like the ones Chinese ladies used to wear in the Chinese imperial era quite a while ago.

Deleted User said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I’d go with something like a ancient Mughal princess lots of beads laces that type of thing.