Hopefullylesspretentious said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Who here is actually reading Yudkowsky’s soon-to-be-finished masterpiece? For those who have no idea what I’m talking about, “Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality” is a popular fanfic written by a leading researcher on artificial intelligence and decision making theory, with the premise that Harry was raised by an Oxford biochemistry professor instead of the Dursley’s and is a child prodigy that is well versed in physics, genetics, chemistry, psychology, economics, calculus, rationality, and the like. He goes into the magical world with the mind of a scientist, trying to empirically determine the boundaries of magic (and occasionally breaking them). It’s also brilliantly written, with an engaging story, well developed characters that display real growth, occasional moments of complete and utter hilarity, and crazy plot twists. This story is so popular that it actually has it’s own fanfiction. Fanfiction of fanfiction. Fanfiception. Also, the most recent chapter is still the most dickish move I’ve ever seen an author make. He basically got to the finale, put the main character in an impossible situation, and said “ok, now all you readers have to think of a solution to this situation within the next 60 hours or I’m just going to kill Harry off and end it here”. It’s diabolical, and gives you an idea what kind of person is writing this. Either way, I’d like to hear thoughts on where the story has gone, and the like. Discuss.

Deleted User said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Wait, when did it update? I got tired of waiting and quit folowing it.

Hopefullylesspretentious said 9 years, 1 month ago:

He’s posting the final arc right now. The story ends on march 14th.