Skittles said 10 years, 5 months ago:

So… last weekend my friend told me to tell her my best kept secret and I told her I’d never read the Harry Potter series. As a massive fan she took this hard. I am onto the fourth book now to stop her from nagging but…

Who has actually read the Harry Potter series and who enjoys it?

Valeska said 10 years, 5 months ago:

I HAVE! :)

Well I don’t consider myself a huge fan but I did like it. I started with Book 2, someone got it for me on my birthday. I never read the first. I thought JK Rowling was really good at Book 2,3,4,5 (I was 50-50 on the 5th, but I tended to the positive side). The final 2 were horrendous in my opinion. However, the story intrigued me but I think she lost all steam towards the end.

The Giggle Blizzard said 10 years, 5 months ago:

My mom read them to me as a kid and eventually I picked them up and started reading them myself when I was old enough. I loved them as a kid, they were part of what sparked my interest in the fantasy genre.

Because a lack of decent books to read I’m re-reading the series and they still hold up decently today, albeit a bit cheesy but they are written for children and teen-agers after all.

I never liked the last two books either, because they were too “grownup” but that’s just the direction the story took and not much can be done about it.

Travezen said 10 years, 5 months ago:

It could be that they were the first books I really had a major interest in (I read sorcerer’s/philosopher’s stone when I was 5), but I absolutely love the entire Harry Potter story. I’m a huge potterhead and very much part of the fandom. I’ve probably read them all at least 5 times each. What was the most interesting thing about the books was that she wrote them with more and more complexity and more adult themes as they went on. The target readers literally grew up WITH the characters, and I think that is what makes some people so attached to the books. Some people can go and read them when they are 20 in 2 weeks, and appreciate them for being great books, but for me (and probably your friend as well) the story literally changed my life and shaped me into who I am today. If you don’t find them as amazing as your friend does, don’t take offense, there’s plenty of reasons why you might now view it the same way. Just some thoughts of a major Potterhead! :)

Stefanie said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Harry Potter in my opinion is a pretty amazing series. I’ve been working on the books. I am officially obsessed with the series, even if it isn’t my favourite book series.

Deleted User said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I love the HP series. I read the sixth book in a day, I literally sat at the kitchen table and read straight through. Books are my life, and I fell so in love with the characters and how three-dimensional they were. I am sooo obsessed. I even made a spell book of every spell ever used or mentioned in the books.

Lady Lionhead said 10 years, 4 months ago:

One word. Hermione. Everybody knows Harry and Ron would be dead without that chick. Oh, and the series is awesome. It’s alot deeper than people give it credit for as a children’s book, especially in some of the things Dumbledore says. J.K. Rowling is a billionaire for a reason.

DuckFeet said 10 years, 4 months ago:

This actually happened to me. I was in such disbelief. I think it had more to do with the fact Harry Potter was basically my entire teen years. I was so devoted, I felt like she didn’t have a full understanding of me. I know silly!!
But I am a fan girl, we are silly.

Kayla said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I just finished reading this series a couple months ago and I must say that I am obsessed with the HP series. J.K. is such a good author. I couldn’t put the books down when I was reading them and as soon as I was done with the series I wanted to read them all over again.

Kitty said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I am a Harry Potter fanatic. I have all 7 audiobooks on my iPhone at all times, I own all the books, and when the movies were coming out, I got mad at them all for not being a direct translation from the books and would spend hours afterwards going through the entire movie to say everything they did wrong. I might like Harry Potter too much, admittedly, but OMG SO GOOOOOD!

mincepie said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I wish I could erase all knowledge and memory of Harry Potter, and then be amazed all over again by reading them for the first time. I must have read each of them a dozen times or more…

Favourite character?

Deleted User said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I have read all of them multiple times and I have really enjoyed them. They just draw you in so well and make you so emotionally attached to there characters and (I hope you watched the movies) I was crying when Sirius, Fred, and Lupin died. J.K Rowland just had to go and kill off some of THE best characters. :(

natalierose said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I love Harry Potter. I credit it for really sparking my love of reading and also my introduction to fangirling. Did you guys here that there’s going to be a play based on it? JK Rowling is coproducing it, and it’s about Harry’s early years.
My favorite character’s got to be Hermione, with Luna as a close second.