Deleted User said 11 years ago:

Hi guys I was just wondering if anyone wanted to share books that helped them during tough times during their life. I think it would be great to see how peoples lives have been affected by books and also maybe get some suggestions for people going through their own problems.

For me “Cloud Atlas” by David Mitchell really turned my life around during a very pessimistic part in my life and inspired me to help others rather than feel sorry for myself. Also “The Princess Bride” by William Goldman always cheers me up when i’m sad.

Swifting said 11 years ago:

The Scarlet Letter – Hawthorn; it helped me through my abortion, being homeless, and a societal outcast.

Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns – Hosseini; they helped me through being an Army wife and watching my husband going overseas.

Suyog said 11 years ago:

Life Is What You Make by Preeti Shenoy :)

Deleted User said 11 years ago:

It’s kind of a funny story, by Ned Vizzini.
The Imperfectionists, by Tom Rachman.

Betwixt said 11 years ago:

Chicken soup series by Jack Canfield
it helped me through various breaking points in my life and some bittersweet ones as well such as graduation and when i wanted to run away from home

Just Keep Going said 10 years, 12 months ago:

The Fault in our Stars by John Green. I think it helped me realize that if some people who got it worse than me are able to keep going and have hope, then I am too.

Completely Unsatisfied Optimist said 10 years, 12 months ago:

Journey to Ixland by Carlos Castenedas. It lifted my spirit and helped me become a warrior by providing steps and advice on listening to nature, losing my identity and history, etc. I also saw a funny Simpson’s once that was based on his teachings but applied to a chili cookout that made homer have a psychedelic experience. Heh heh.

Ashley said 10 years, 11 months ago:

Willow by Julia Hoban was actually part of the reason I stopped self harm :) powerful ending.

Love-and-be-loved said 10 years, 11 months ago:

If I stay/where she went these to book were my favorites and they really helped me learn about letting go

Meera said 10 years, 10 months ago:

Every Soul a Star (by Wendy Mass)

Rio said 10 years, 10 months ago:

Terry Pratchett books help me, give me a chance to run away to another world. Always make me smile, no matter what’s going on in my life… Sometimes it’s okay to escape for a bit.

Deleted User said 10 years, 10 months ago:

Star Wars: X-Wing Series. It was always great to read about normal people who aren’t jedi, just trying to live their lives.
Animorphs. Same as above, sort of. Normal teenagers trying to live their lives in the middle of a war. Childhood nostalgia helps.

bricheese said 10 years, 10 months ago:

The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst though it’s a book about a grieving widow trying to understand what caused his wife to die, in the process trying to make his dog talk because she was the only one that saw his wife die I just really connected with the characters, with Paul -the protagonist- his anxiety, anger, grief, etc that goes along with losing a loved one as well as Lexy -his wife who died- her depression, sadness and story in general without giving too much away. Also I’m pretty snobby about my literature as in how well the author writes and it was just so well done it made the story really believable even though it was something as ludicrous as making a dog talk

Nehal said 10 years, 10 months ago:

Thoughts to build on (by M.R. Koopmyer) is an excellent book for self help. Not related to Tough time but helped me to improve my time

riseinthemoment said 10 years, 9 months ago:

13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. Helped me get through my depression when it got really bad.