Mia said 8 years, 10 months ago:

My best friend is a little on the chubbier side, and I love that. It’s adorable and she’s beautiful just the way she is, however, she doesn’t see it that way, I always make comments about her embracing her beautiful body but she can’t and instead sees those comments as insulting.

I don’t mean to insult her when I tell her to embrace her body, I just want her to look at herself positively, but she always envies me what with my thinner body.

She’s sporty, artsy and overall just wonderful. I wish she could see that, I don’t want to force anything.

Any help on helping her with looking at herself that way?

Rain said 8 years, 10 months ago:

Well, imho, if she sees those comments as insulting, it might be better to drop those comments. I know that you seem to mean well and you find her beautiful as she is, but making those comments puts more focus on her body, which is clearly something she doesn’t want. So I think it is better not to do so, especially since she stated to see those comments as insults. It’ll be better to just talk about other things. Making those comments may only make her feel more uncomfortable and insecure. Instead of telling her to embrace her body, you could just give her a compliment when something looks good on her. For example, if she’s wearing something red and that color suits her well, you could say “red looks really good on you, it maches your eyes”.

You’ll have to accept the fact that she’s not open to your comments about embracing her body. No matter how good your intentions are, you can’t really help someone to see themselves the way you see them. You may perceive her body as beautiful, but clearly she doesn’t. A lot of people don’t perceive themselves as beautiful. I think the key here is to simply not make those comments.