LittleFighter said 9 years, 8 months ago:

First of all, let me say that I love my body. I have been extremely fortunate in my life to have never truly hated the skin that I’m in. That being said, I’ve never been immune to the effects of the media, the fashion industry, and society’s stereotypes in general. I am a short, curvy Latina. Friends have told me that I have the “perfect body”, but I can’t see it that way. If I have the perfect body, then why does it seem that I can’t wear anything that I want to wear? I’m too short to pull off maxi skirts or dresses, and I usually have to get dresses a size or two up to fit my chest. Waistless dresses that would look elegant on a thin girl with no hips make me look like a boxy, fat hippo. Anything that I wear immediately becomes sexualized by my curves. And that’s the way that it’s portrayed to others. But I don’t always want to be sexy. I want to be classy and cute like all the thin-framed models, too. In this society it’s so hard to be viewed as anything other than a sex object when you have large breasts and an ass attached to you. No matter how I act guys always come up with “sexy” as a compliment rather than “beautiful” or “pretty”. And it gets worse when I’m compared to white girls. One guy even told me “You’re cute, but Spanish cute.” Why is there a difference? Why does my shape put me on a whole different playing field, one that I don’t necessarily want to be on? I love being me. I love my shape and I love my curves. But I hate how society pigeonholes and limits me based on the way I was born to be. I’m confident enough to not let it bother me too much, but I’ll always wonder if girls like me will ever be accepted into the mainstream just the way we are.

Cortona said 9 years, 6 months ago:

I know what you’re going through. I have big curves that I’m ashamed of, but in truth there is always going to be someone who envies you. A girl with no curves is going to want your curves, while you thirst to be curveless. It’s funny how it works, huh? We all want what we don’t have.
Maybe you think you look like a “big fat hippo” but I’m sure that’s not what you’re fully capable of seeing. You have to look yourself in the mirror and point out the good in the parts of yourself that you don’t like. You have to point at your big hips and say something along the lines of “good for carrying babies” or “curveless girls envy this.”
The sexy part is a little hard. You deserve to be called beautiful, you own the beautiful inside you that is one of a kind. If other guys can only view you as “sexy” then perhaps you need to show them who’s boss. Tell them that you don’t like being called that or that you’d rather be appreciated for something else about yourself. The men in this world can be so very cruel with their words and it’s not okay. Girls mature before boys, so while a girl may be striving for a professional look, a guy may still be looking at the immature angle of “sexy.”
You just have to keep searching. Search for the right dress, the right sewing materials, the right guy. Never ever ever alter yourself for someone else, stay comfortable in your own skin. You /are/ beautiful, and that should be enough for you. If you believe you are beautiful, you are unstoppable.
As for the latina thing, I have to say that’s incredibly racist and a big issue in our culture. Guys do set people of different racial backgrounds into different playing fields and it’s not right. The right guys won’t depict you from everyone else, so you must strive to only give your attention to those guys. You are as beautiful, cute, professional, and sexy as any other white girl. If anyone says any different you can give them a cup of truth tea and leave, for their immaturity simply means you are above them. You are more intellectual and open minded and you should be proud of that. Be proud of yourself. Love your body, for it is the house of your soul- a unique life that will only show up once on this earth.
I hope this helped in the slightest bit. Stay body confident. ♥

Cortona said 9 years, 6 months ago:

@december2797

LittleFighter said 9 years, 6 months ago:

thank you so much, this really made me feel better :)

Cortona said 9 years, 5 months ago:

@december2797 Sorry this is late. You’re welcome, I really enjoyed writing this because I feel like a lot of girls can relate to how you feel. (: