(◣_◢)Poet said 10 years, 2 months ago:

why is it so powerful? one can argue fear is the greatest power over any living creature; greater than love, as the presence of love is usually accompanied by fear or defined by a resistance to fear, still, because of fear.

take a minute to collect your life around your mind, now ask yourself how much of your life ISN’T based around something related to fear. we seek attention and compassion out of a fear of loneliness, we try harder out of fear of failure. we grow out of a fear that we’ll stay stuck in some place forever…all because of fear.

courage, what is this other an attempt to prove you aren’t afraid.

how many actually live without the idea of fear in regards to their actions? i imagine that number is small. is it possible to live without fear?

i’ve thought about it a lot lately and realized that i only bother finishing school, saving money, going to work…and who knows what else, out of fear that of not having a future. which has led to me considering dropping everything and just doing whatever i want to get wherever i want to go, and live my life like it can end at any moment (which it can). but then comes to the fear, and i realize i don’t even understand fear, just as no one understands death, yet we allow fear to trick us into some idea of it. fear, the powerful idea, with a trick called death to make it seem more powerful, another idea (death) that we don’t understand but buy into…now i’m rambling.

Deleted User said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I think it’s in our instincts to have some kind of fear, but as intelligent beings our definition of fear has definitely become more complex. It’s natural to fear death because we know so little about it. It’s every living being’s purpose in life – to live to it’s fullest extent. When you said “take a minute to collect your life around your mind, now ask yourself how much of your life ISN’T based around something related to fear”, the thought actually scares me. I feel like there is literally no part of my life run without fear looming around the corner. It’s almost motivating to think of it because I don’t want my life to be like that. Very good question, Poet.

I don’t think that courage always necessarily means you’re trying to “prove” you’re not afraid. Say, free style rock climbing. They aren’t trying to prove to anyone that they’re afraid. They do it because of the thrill and the satisfaction of completing such a task. To take in the beauty of nature around them and within themselves. It’s something they do for themselves to make them happy. It’s not a contest.

Something I’ve always wanted to do in life, but am held back by fear, is doing a challenge of sorts in Tibet. There is a monk temple that allows people to come and find peace with themselves – and you cannot speak a word for two years. I can no longer find the person who wrote the blog about their experience with it, but ever since I read it I’ve wanted to do it. It’s like a really long meditation, or a kind of “walkabout”. It changed her life. Fear has it’s grip on me because I think about how upset people would be if I basically disappeared for two years. That I have responsibilities.

I think that should be a goal for this year; learn to control our fears. I believe the the most important step when making changes in your life is to understand that it’s okay to mess up. If we were perfect, we’d have nothing to strive for in life.

Guardian said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Ah fear, the one thing that stops us from achieving what we “want” out of life. Ask yourself this, “What do you really want?” Do it, and come up few things that you desire, such as a new product, business, adventure, etc. I will come back to this illustration in a moment

Some say, “The difference between fear and danger is that one is real and one is not. Danger involves a real situation, whereas fear is just a mindset that holds you back from what you want.” I believe this statement to be for the most part, true. Though I also take into account the variable, which is the “want”. You see, the subconscious mind plays a part in this. We are all creatures of habit, and our paradigm – a multitude of habits – which is rooted in our subconscious mind, is what shapes our future life experience. The only way to change our paradigm is to develop new habits and feed our minds with positive thoughts. That’s the key phrase right there – positive thoughts.

Going back the original example – once you think of some of the things that you desire, your brain will either think of reasons you can have that desire, or reasons you can’t. Most of the time, “Logic” or “practicality” derived from your current situation, beliefs, and a culmination of all your life experiences will either fill your brain with reasons with the “why you can’t.” You want a car, but you can’t afford it; you have no friends, but you’re not good at developing relationships; you like someone, but you’re too scared to tell or approach them; you want a job, but you have no job experience.

Morris E. Goodman’s plane engine lost power in 1981. Goodman did all he could to maneuver the aircraft back toward the airstrip to make an emergency landing, but the plane flew through a low-hung set of power lines, and crashed to the ground, flipping over. Goodman was knocked out, breaking his C-1 and C-2 Cervical vertebrae, and was left paralyzed, unable to move from head to foot, breathe on his own, talk or swallow. All he could do was blink his eyes. His doctors, however, were convinced that if he survived long at all after his initial life-saving surgery, he’d be doomed to a short, meaningless life in a persistent vegetative state, assuming he had also lost all brain function. In reality, nothing was further from the truth, and Goodman began to develop a plan to achieve a full recovery. Goodman found a way to breathe despite the permanent damage to his diaphragm. After weeks of intense practice, voluntarily using other abdominal muscles, Goodman was able to take his first breath without the use of a machine. Stunned doctors slowly reduced the settings on Goodman’s ventilator until he was finally able to breathe on his own. Soon Goodman began working with speech therapists until he was able to utter a single word – “Mama.” After that he began to eat and learn how to walk again. Despite head doctors’ insistence that his spinal cord had been permanently damaged to the point that his left side would be forever immobile, Goodman vowed he would walk once more, and would be home by Christmas. Obtaining permission to use the physical therapy and occupational therapy facilities earlier than their programs began; Goodman continued to work to improve his leg muscle strength and stamina until he could stand on his own. Goodman was able to walk unassisted, and was released on November 13, 1981.

(Summary of Morris Goodman’s biography – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_E._Goodman)

Here is my point. Fear is a part of you, that you, yourself, must exercise control over – or else let it control your life. You are your own worst enemy; you are the only one standing in the way of what you most desire in your life.

“If I could some up my life, it would be, man becomes what he thinks about.”

Take the risk of obtaining what you desire most. There’s no such thing as failure, unless fear prevents you from trying, and you give up.

So I ask you this: What do you want?

Humanist Hope said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Fear is considered a prime motivator, and there is active research into the theory that fear is the base motivation for all action.

H.P. Lovecraft said that “The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is of the unknown.” – look here on BT; so many questions and troubles that are a direct result of a fear of an unknown.

Some consider the ability to overcome fear as the mark of strength.

Vivid Melody said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Fear is the expectation that something bad will happen and faith is the expectation that something good will happen. I don’t believe one can really love without understanding hope or faith. I don’t believe love and fear can coexist. When you love with a passion, you forget the fear. You take no thought for yourself or your own fears. I suppose you could fear for the other person’s well being though. That is true. But I think with love, hope is still always present otherwise why even try to help a person at all? The person must believe they are able to do what they set out to do.

It’s interesting though. I feel like there are two types of fear. I think there is the kind of fear that brings about something good – such as when you love someone so much you fear ever hurting them. And then there’s the type of fear that brings about negative results – like when we allow our fear to make us angry and attempt to control others. The one fear is more like a hyper awareness of the influence we have over others and the great responsibility which comes with that. While the other is selfish though still seeking good for the self (just going about it the wrong way).

Many children are care-free because they haven’t experienced sorrow yet. They feel joy and joy is the other motivator in life so it’s not just fear. I think people fear being disappointed once they’ve tasted sorrow but at the same time they may come to find it wasn’t as bad as they thought it would be and they really are able to bring themselves through it despite the hardship.

Fear can cripple you and make you shrink back. Love expands. I think it’s all about how you look at things though as someone else already said. You choose how you perceive things. You can look at things in a positive light or you can choose to be cynical. In the end, that’s all we have control over – how we see things and how we choose to react to things.

Overall, a lot of things in life are predictable so we can weigh the consequences of our actions (wisdom) and there is usually always some way to improve our circumstances even if it’s just looking at it a different way.

shimmeringsoul said 10 years, 2 months ago:

“I think it’s in our instincts to have some kind of fear, but as intelligent beings our definition of fear has definitely become more complex.”

I think this is a very important point Eliaras. Fear began as a survival instinct present in all beings and the fact that humans have the added capability to reason and engage in complex problem solving has allowed us to continuously improve our discernment of rational versus irrational fear. It seems to me like the ability to modulate fear by expanding our knowledge of ourselves and the world around us has played a large part in our evolution as a species. However, this same phenomenon is frightening to me when I consider how humans have complicated the notion of fear itself in the process. I mean we’ve managed to build entire concepts and institutions around fear; TSA, NSA, DEA, preemptive/humanitarian wars, fighting terrorism, etc.

” I think there is the kind of fear that brings about something good – such as when you love someone so much you fear ever hurting them.”

Vivid Melody, I’m open to the possibility that fear may sometimes lead to a good outcome, but doesn’t that really depend on the process of how you cope with fear? There’s always the potential for fear to be induced and/or manipulated and so it’s hard for me to see how fear can be a positive force–especially in a relationship–absent some underlying qualities, such as openness, honesty, empathy, humility, and integrity. I guess I disagree with your example that you can “love someone so much you fear ever hurting them,” because I don’t think fear should be what sustains a relationship. Maybe it just has to do with the way I look at love; personally I’d like to define love in a way that’s absent fear as much as possible. The way I look at it is if I’m afraid of hurting someone, that would weaken my claim of loving them so much, and so I would feel compelled to go back and reevaluate how I arrived at love in the first place. I don’t see how I could retain such a fear if I genuinely felt love; I’d want to have virtue as a reinforcer of love rather than fear. For me, falling in love represents a process whereby two voluntarily interacting individuals reach a level of compassion, connection, and trust of each other that brings them to a defining point where they agree to combine their energies in the pursuit of virtue. The level of rigor and care taken in the process of defining the pursuit of virtue–and by extension love– is really what I think should create certainty and reduce the impact of fear within the relationship. Then again, I write this as a single guy who has not found love, and so maybe my perspective is a little too idealistic…It would be cool if anyone who’s currently in a really loving relationship and at the same time experiencing the fear of hurting their partner could weigh in on this… Right now, I just can’t see how I would ever be able to reconcile the simultaneous presence of both these feelings :(

“I don’t think that courage always necessarily means you’re trying to “prove” you’re not afraid.”

Yeah, I think defining courage in that way is an incomplete definition and I really like your example about rock climbing Eliaras. I also think that without attaching notions of morality/virtue to the definition of courage, it may inadvertently lead to cowardice being confused with courage. Think about a suicide bomber for instance…He/she is certainly trying to prove that he isn’t afraid, but what fear is he/she responding to in the first place? If he/she is made to feel courageous by manipulative people who have instilled him/her with half-truths and irrational fears, is that still courage?

beautifullyric said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Let me play devil’s advocate.

Let us take fear as we know it out of the picture. We know fear as an apprehension to something, whether it be an object, a human being or even an emotion. Yet, in the archaic language and past, fear has another definition: “to have a reverential awe of”.
In the archaic sense, to have a fear of something is to have a deep reverence and even a peculiar sense of respect for the object of that said fear.
I believe that fear and an overall discomfort can sometimes be interchangeable terms. For instance, I could say I “fear” the thought of falling. Yet, in all actuality, I have a discomfort associated with it. I do not respect falling nor do I revere it.
Speaking in a relationship sense, one may “fear” a certain person such as a leader or a family member. Perhaps this is due to a situation in which respect was gained through an unfortunate circumstance.
Just some thoughts.

(◣_◢)Poet said 10 years, 1 month ago:

@beautifullyric, damn that was nice. It makes a lot more sense now. Thank you.

Humanist Hope said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Fear and respect are not interchangeable.

I can respect something without fearing it, and I can fear something while having no respect whatsoever for it.

It often goes that there is a measure of respect for some aspect of an object of fear, but not invariably so.

So I must politely disagree.

Guardian said 10 years, 1 month ago:

While fear and respect may or may not be exactly interchangeable, I think they can certainly can be associated with one another. One definition for respect is “A feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.” For example, police officers have the ability to ticket for various reasons – what if someone had a fear of getting one? They would directly associate that fear with the people who have the ability to hand them out.

Humanist Hope said 10 years, 1 month ago:

A person may fear getting stopped by the police while still harboring no respect for the same. They could be a common criminal, so they regularly break the law, they just restrain their criminal behavior while in proximity to an arm of the law, or otherwise some potential of being caught. That is a fear, but it is not necessarily a form of respect. A person with respect for the law would not break it, and therefore would not fear it.

Guardian said 10 years, 1 month ago:

I respect the law, but I fear getting a traffic ticket. :P

Game said 10 years, 1 month ago:

You respect that the police officer has a certain power over you, so you avoid that specific altercation.