Deleted User said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I am a born and raised Christian, but as I grew older I felt more and more away from Christianity.
Now I consider myself an agonist, because it’s hard to throw the thought and feel, that there’s a good out there, when you got it ‘forced’ in your head since childhood.

My question is:
Is there any former people of religions, that are now atheists? What made the convincing jump for you?

Humanist Hope said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I was born and raised to be a fundamentalist Southern Baptist. That didn’t happen.

It was a combination of things. The circular logic, the lack of questions, the deconstruction of Christianity’s holidays was a big jump away from Christianity for me. I thought to myself “If our holidays were stolen from other religions, what else is less than true or is an outright lie?”

I outlined my belief in the comment section of this question: http://blahtherapy.com/questions/does-questioning-mean-you-have-no-faith/

Nope, not atheist, thankfully, but yeah, i know what you mean, im agnostic too (not agonist as you said), and well i like it, agnostic is not the same as being atheist, atheists are non believers, while we are more “neutral” and my mom well, i dont know if my mom knows im agnostic, but yeah my family are religious, and my mom dont have a problem with me not going to church most of the time (rarely i actually go), but i dont get into a talk about it to them because, lets face it, its completely unnecessary.

So yeah, im agnostic, about the reasons? well i dont know, i mean, i believe in most paranormal stuff, and why not? there MIGHT be a god, i have an open mind, but well, at the same time it might not be true, im not sure about the reasons why im an agnostic, i just am, no special reason, im just a non skeptic and an agnostic, and really i dont care about other people’s beliefs as long as they are respectful, but yeah, i dont really have any interest on what religios people do, and in fact they often say retarded things, like rock is from satan, and they always must stick religion when someone is depressed, and i saw religious people say anime was from satan just because sailor moon made a pose with her hands (the blond girl whatever her name is) so yeah, i do watch religious shows to be honest, but for entertainment.

Anyway, sorry about all the speech.

PS the person that reaplied before me made a really interesting point.

Damn I misspelled several times -.-’ confusion.
Sorry for that.. moving on:

I agree with @blackholehead (jonathan), because that is basically how I feel.. I will read that link in a minute..

@mavg23 I also like to be in the middle, it seems as a more open state to be in. Like it’s safe if doomsday suddenly happen.. I guess I’ve just heard to many stories about the end of the world from my mother.
Even though.. I feel like I can’t really be either of the two, being an agnostic is really in between. I guess that it is possible, but it’s hard for me to accept.
I would say I am more into being an atheist than a Christian… I am just sad, that the only thing that makes me hold onto Christianity, is the fear of eternal hell and pain. That’s the reason, as to why I am against religion in the raising of a child.

It doesn’t matteif you don’t believe in God just remember God never abandons you even if you lose faith in God because God doesn’t lose faith in tourism not a religious nut lol but I know there is something out there a higher purpose

That is your own personal opinions @tragic (;

Hey both, sorry for not replying, i was eating adn watching a show online, and my ear hurts and you decided to comment in your profiles too and here and i cant log into steam (i hope its a problem on their end and not my profile) and i freaked out and i dont want to lose my account (i have many games there) and forgot what i was going to say so well im replying here.

OK, @tragic, yeah, i think i already replied to you, i dislike atheists because ive had bad experiences with them, thats why i said “thankfully” im not an atheist, and then i dont remember who told me that it was a matter of personality rather than their beliefs, yeah, thats true, but well, im wary not only with atheists but with skeptics, and well people in general about almost anything to be honest, thats one of the reasons i dont play games online with people i dont know and i have been rejecting almost everyone that friend request me here and all the people that do it on otehr social sites.

@blackholehead yeah, i already said its an interesting theory what you said, i have some theories myself.

To the OP, dont worry, its just a misspell, its not a big deal; yeah i agree, its good to be in the middle, its not good to close one’s mind nor to say a lot of crazy stuff saying that this thing is bad or that is good and saying that x thing is 100% true and believing it blindly,

About the doomsday, well yeah, it may be happen, may not, may be the thing religious people say, may be because of aliens, wars, natural dissasters, people destroying the planet, or that thing scientists say that a black hole is near the planet or a meteorite, we cant know for sure.

And not really, its not a big deal being in between, dont worry too much, atheists may be surprised if god exists and religious people may be if they discover god doesnt exist, just dont focus your mind on x belief and dont close your mind to the possibilities, dont worry about being agnostic too much.

And dont worry, you are not alone, i find myself (rarely) thinking about god and hell and that sort of stuff, but not all the time, and well, sometimes when its much for me to hold x problem by myself or a loved one is in any kind of trouble and i cant do anything, i actually ask god for help (really rarely).

And well, parents can decide what they want to raise a child, come on, christians arent bad, it would be bad if they raised them to abuse animals or be criminals or be uneducated egocentric brats or something like that that wont respect others, come on, christians arent the worst of the worst, there are worse people out there.

But yeah when christians OR atheists push their beliefs on others is bad.

mullofkintyre said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I was also predominately raised Catholic even though my father is Jewish and my mother is Christian. So I was kind of put into a religion from a young age.

At first it was fun activities in church with other kids and CCD classes started out the same way. As I got older I realized how immoral and corrupt that religion is. I never knew any other way of life than to have people force feed you what God and Jesus is about and if you questioned anything in the Bible they wouldn’t have any of it.

So yeah, I consider myself to also be an Agnostic. I quit my CCD classes about a year before I would have been going to Confirmation.

@mavg23
I have some tragic stories about christian peoples actions, so don’t think they all are good.

Don’t matter if there Christian the disciples Poseidon Athena if your apart of this earth you will sin

Period

@theclearmind Hey, no problem, i know it, i think i already said it but well, christians can be REALLY stupid, i mean, i told you, they say anime is satanic because of a pose sailor moon made, say rock music is satanic, they are homophobic, sometimes they are intolerant with other religions or “sinners” and they think if you dont believe you will go to hell even if you are a good person, i know christians arent angels, and in fact i bet many christians do it for hypocrisy and to look like good persons when they actually arent; just like atheists can be moron egocentric intolerant jackasses, no group is nicer than the other, you dont need to remind me that.

I dont know what religious people did to you though, with me, atheists have insulted me, and well, they sometimes have tried to shove their beliefs in me, started arguing with me, and stuff like that, what about you?

I do do agree with darksoul about Christianity being against movies with witchcraft witch I don’t understand I mean they say God brings people to do things wouldn’t that mean god mad that director in the path to direct those movies so yes I don’t agree with that I think every religion has something that I kinda.scratch my head about and say that’s dumb I just wish religious people could all just realise that if they say God helps everyone that includes atheist gays every type of people any I’m done

“Don’t matter if there Christian the disciples Poseidon Athena if your apart of this earth you will sin Period.”

I am reminded of a passage from The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus:

“When all’s done, divinity is best! Jerome’s Bible, Faustus. View it well.

‘Stipendium pecca ti mors est’ – the reward of sin is death. That’s hard. If we say we have no sin, then we deceive ourselves and there is no truth in us. Therefore belike, we must sin and so consequently die. Aye, we must die an everlasting death. What doctrine call you this; Que sera, sera; what will be, shall be? Aye. Divinity adieu.”

The concept of original sin is nowhere in the old testament. It was created by St. Augustine. St. Augustine was a reformed Hedonist, never declared a prophet, nor was he a disciple of Christ, so why are his beliefs doctrine of Catholicism?

What manner of all-knowing deity creates a catch-22 and calls it a test? For that matter, why create a world with this much interaction and depth if it is just a fleeting breath between eternity and eternity?

I refuse to call all of mankind’s accomplishments, suffering and tribulations a “test”. It is a spit in the face of everyone who struggles every day just to live and make something of their lives.

Any belief that belittles this experience down to a cosmic multiple-choice question at the gates of eternity will never have my vote or support.

The Bible even states that after the return of Christ, there will be a thousand years of teaching and learning before final judgment. So why in the blue hell are people so convinced that you have to be sworn to God before you die? It is in plain text in Revelation 20:1-7.

So…why so serious? If everyone in this forum is wrong and there are a thousand years of teaching and learning before final judgment, then we’ll find out then.

Contemporary doom-and-gloom pentecostal and evangelistic Christianity are so far removed from their own Bible that it is practically obscene.

It makes me sick to tears how Christians cherry pick their own holy book and then claim that the entire thing is the divine word of God…except for this part, or that part.

Either the Bible is or is not the word of God. Either it is or it is not divinely inspired. This nonsense of allowing people to cherry pick from the Bible to support their personal brand of Christianity puts the lie to the whole sordid affair.

Religion is an excuse to give divine sanction to any belief, no matter how extreme or benign. The idea that religion is the cornerstone of morality is an insult, and the very thought that all the years men and women walk this earth is just a test belittles all life down to meaninglessness.

But people don’t acknowledge that. Many of the faithful believe that thinking “too hard” about it means that the Enemy is getting them, so they stop thinking, out of fear that their faith will be shaken. Out of fear of being dragged to eternal torture.

Out of fear. “God-Fearing” is somehow a good thing. If there was an emoticon on blahtherapy for a spit, I’d be using it.

I respect that religion upholds good morals and places emphasis on community, but that benevolence is just a finely polished gold plating on top of a rusted hulk of fear and bigotry.