Raven said 9 years, 2 months ago:

I have been an Atheist for many years now .. I was raised Catholic/Christian… then got into Wicca for a few years and then finally accepted the fact which I can’t deny that I am an Atheist. I believe in nature and things that I can touch and feel and use my senses. I have found a lot of faults in religions and I believe they do more harm in society than good… I am Atheist Proud …

Deleted User said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Hey I have a similar story,
I was also raised Christian and later stopped believing in Gods and Religion, but somehow found my way to Wicca. I eventually excepted my Atheism as well.

I have a question, do you ever feel lost as an atheist? As in since we believe in no God, do you get saddened by a seemingly meaningless existence?

Swifting said 9 years, 2 months ago:

I’ve never been lost by being an atheist. I think we probably are all here to be a better person for other people.

Some people say I’m a humanist…. But, It’s all about being the best thing for the world to me.

The Giggle Blizzard said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Cheers, all the support to you OP!

I grew up in a family that wasn’t religious but did take me to church and I experienced what protestant christianity is in Sweden (it’s pretty chill, for the most part). I never considered myself christian but would wonder if there was a god or several of them or if god was not god but something else.

In the end, after some personal discoveries I gave up the idea of religion and now I consider myself a naturalist – I guess to some people I’m atheist, maybe more agnostic, but I feel that naturalist is the best word and as a naturalist I have no reason to “believe” anything.

Deleted User said 8 years, 11 months ago:

I am atheist proud aswell. I grew up with Christian/catholic parents adn when I was really young. I decided I didn’t believe any ove this was true. I told my parents and they understood. I think mostly because I was so young they thought it was just a “phase” and that I would soon realize that I was in fact religious, buto this day I am still atheist and I plan on staying that way.

plato said 8 years, 10 months ago:

There are no atheists in foxholes. Atheism is a product of prolonged time of peace. You can observe the modern western societies getting weirder and more depraved by the minute.

Atheism is nothing to be proud of. It’s a sign of weakness in the soul.

mlkm said 8 years, 10 months ago:

Atheism, like religion, can be many things. Why people to chose to believe one thing or another – or nothing at all – has very little to do with the state of western society and has very much to do with what feels right to them.
Imo it requires strength to not believe what you are told to believe – to make your own choice. Whether that be religion or atheism, does not matter – weakness in the soul has nothing to do with it.

Humanist Hope said 8 years, 10 months ago:

The very first question to address with user @plato451 is this: are you at all interested in a conversation or in understanding atheists or atheism, or are you just evangelizing?

We won’t try to force you into a conversation that you do not want to have, but at the same time, you cannot just come into the atheism forums and drop anti-atheist comments with no expectation of rebuttal; that is trolling and will not be tolerated.

plato said 8 years, 10 months ago:

@mlkm
The central tenet of atheism has far reaching consequences that dictate that all atheists should essentially believe the same thing and have similar views. Otherwise you’re not an atheist or do not realize what you really believe in. Atheism appeals to spiritually vulnerable people and those weakened by modern decadent lifestyle and antireligious propaganda seeping out of everything.

@blackholehead
I’m not “evangelizing” as atheists usually cannot be convinced no matter what, even though it’s quite easy to disprove atheism on metaphysical grounds. I have never heard any arguments in favour of atheism that would hold water under scrutiny, but I’m always open to discussion. I see you’re already trying to manipulate people reading this into thinking that whatever you don’t agree with is trolling; very common on the internet.

W.Verger said 8 years, 9 months ago:

@plato451
Please prove atheism wrong for me.
Also you are turning things around. It’s the religious people that cannot be convinced no matter what… the only thing you need to convince an atheist that he/she is wrong is to show the evidence that falsifies his hypothesis as we look at the world in an empirical manner. On the other hand there are tons of arguments that make existance of theism in our times questionable. If you are willing I would be happy to discuss every one of them with you.

LauraSharp said 8 years, 7 months ago:

I am also an atheist. I have been baptised as protestant but my family were never really religious for a long time and I have always been passionate about science, studying human biology at university. But my dad a few years back realised he was an alcoholic and joined AA which is all well and good and got him sober. He got in way too deep to the spirituality side of things becoming narcissistic and thinking he was above everybody else because of this new found spirituality, He made a lot of mistakes because of it and had affairs etc and now is confirmed by the Catholic church. I believe people can have whatever religion they want but with my dad changing so dramatically and trying to force it upon my family by guilt tripping, passive aggressive comments, snobbery, it just pushed me further away and more proud to be an atheist.