Lorraine said 9 years, 10 months ago:

So I’m a “in the closet” Atheist in regards to my family. It’s not like I’m ashamed or embarrassed about it in the slightest its just that I know my parents would react very negatively if I told them I was an Atheist. I don’t think they’d disown me but I’m sure we’d definitely have a strained relationship. Knowing them they’d probably force me to go to church and make me read the bible with them (which I have already read the bible but they’d probably try and read it with me- trying to convince me its true). I’ve been an atheist for a while now and though I typically respect Christians I have little tolerance when some of them force their religion on me, so I know I wouldn’t be able to accept it if my parents did that to me. What I’m asking is how and when do you think I should tell them… if at all. I’m open with my Atheism with pretty much everyone except them so they’ll probably find out one way or another. What should I do when they do find out? I have another year with them and then I’m off to college. What’s your advice?

Exia said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I’d say just wait. A year isn’t really that long. After all, it seems like they aren’t actually making you do anything now, like church, which you think they will if you tell them. Just find your own support group, and then be open when you have a real opportunity to be.

Valeria Mijares said 9 years, 10 months ago:

You shouldn’t hide it.
The next time they try to make you go to church or pray, just be polite to them and explain them your opinion.
It’s not like you are a child anymore, they won’t take it lightly but at the end they love you and want to see you happy so my guess is that they will accept the way you think:)

Insightful Zebra said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I think you should be honest, now that you’re capable of making your own decisions, you can handle the consequences that come. They really don’t have any right to take you to church or force you to do anything you don’t want to. You should ask them to respect your beliefs as you respect theirs.

Dafao said 9 years, 10 months ago:

You have to be very carefull regarding religious believes, people doesn’t take for granted others opinions and views that are different from theirs. I have seen fanatism on people on all kinds of religious believes, even on atheists. It is very disappointing for religious parents because they feel like a huge failure when they see their children not sharing the same view on certain fundamental point of views like religious, political, educational..etc. My personal opinion is that if think that you are atheist, it is very personal for the moment. Just wait, read enough materials regarding atheism, share only with people that is really open on atheism or they are atheists, don’t get on arguing about this, specially with older people or with people that has already builded a believing system.

No_name said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Tell your parents your logic behind not trusting the religion, and be open to what they say, if you don’t find their explanation convincing then tell them the what’s wrong in their explanation, this might turn into a war for a little while but you will feel much relieved that they know what you think, your self esteem will grow! Do you think you are an Atheist or you are an agnostic person?
I am neither of them(i.e I believe in a religion) and, I think you are okay, your parents will understand too! Be brave tell what’s on your mind! :)

Good day to you! And, one request to you, please don’t stop searching for truth! Cause, you can’t possibly know if you are right or not :)