DamnLife said 8 years, 9 months ago:

I’m writing a story where all the events are fictional, but the characters are mostly real (or at least based on real people). It’s first-person, from the point of view of a character who, for all intents and purposes, is me. The character and I share opinions, emotions and experiences. Because the character’s experiences and emotions so closely mirror mine, it is really hard for me to write the story. Emotionally.
The memories and feelings are ones that i have been burring deep inside myself for years. Now that i’m surfacing them and reliving them, it hurts even more than the first time around.
I don’t think i can keep writing this story, but now that I’ve started it, i need to finish it. Not for the purpose of having it done, but for the purpose of writing it down.
Does anyone have any advice about how I can soften the blow of making these memories fresh?

Erica C. Swan said 8 years, 8 months ago:

I went though the same thing and glad I’m not the only one. It’s tough writing things like that because it’s just like reliving it. But don’t give up, because once you’re done it will feel like a weight lifted off your shoulders. And just remember when you’re writing, it’s behind you, and even though it’s hard to write, it can’t hurt you anymore. I wish you the best :)