Natt said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Me and my brother are pretty close so I can talk to him about almost anything (still I haven’t directly told him I’m asexual). He was very confused about sexuality so it was a common theme among us. I noticed from our chats that he really wanted to have sex and that’s when I really started thinking about it. That’s when I realized that I felt a bit repulsed by the idea of me having sex.

From that moment on I began a research to know if it was normal for a person my age; this is how I discovered I was Asexual(actually the moment I discovered my orientation had a name).

I’ve read all the articles I’ve come across on the matter. I read a few stories in which friends or family have played a big role in making people like us feel welcome. I hoped there would be more of them.

Have you ever had a person in your life (i.e. family, friend, complete stranger, etc.) help you feel more comfortable about who you are?

jelly said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks for getting the ball rolling!

I’m glad you and your brother are close enough to talk about sexuality (I shudder at the thought of even mentioning it with friends, let alone family!) and how it impacts you and just the topic in general.

In terms of myself, it didn’t take long for me to clue in to the fact that I’m not a sexual person by nature, and that my hormones should have kicked in to the point where I want to go date, and fool around and such. I’d always thought I liked girls (boys never crossed my mind) but then realized that no, not really the case either, and that I couldn’t feel an attraction to anyone. I realized that I’d never crushed on anybody, even at a younger age, and that I wasn’t really interested in swapping bodily fluids.

In terms of family members, when I “came out” as gay, my family didn’t really care. I haven’t come out any other way yet, ’cause really, I don’t much care for labels like I used to, and I don’t really feel as though it’s that big of my life anyway. I generally tell people I don’t know well that I don’t date, and try to leave it at that. Or that I’m just not ready for a relationship right now. Stuff like that. I imagine if I told my family, it wouldn’t be much of a big deal (it really isn’t, anyway) and that they would be comfortable with it. Not like it’s a choice, anyway. I think that’s a common misconception.

The reason why I wouldn’t classify myself as asexual is that I firmly believe that I need to be very close with someone to experience anything (romantic, sensual, sexual, ect, ect) “deeper” than friendship with them. There has to be this … something there. Not sure how to explain it, but I do believe I have the capacity, which is why I classify myself as “grey-a” or “demisexual” though I’m not sure if those labels are entirely accurate.

Sorry for the long reply! We should totally have an “ace moment” thread – saw one on AVEN, and thought it was funny.

Natt said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Wow sorry for the late reply. I hadn’t realized I set this to no emails. I thought nobody really cared about the group. But your comment I don’t know it just reminds me how different asexual people can be of one another. It’s interesting. Also, I think you right, there’s no real reason to label oneself. An “ace moment” thread? What is that?