Leo said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I collect series and have recently started adding anime’s to my collection. Though while at first I tried to watch anime subbed, I just couldn’t, usually I felt like the subtitles moved to quickly and it was hard for me to keep track of them. So I quickly started with the dubbing option. However it has come to my attention that alot of anime fans dislike or even flat out hate dubbed animes and I was really wondering why. I mean I have noticed that there are some changes in dialogue between subs and dubs. Yet the gist of the conversations remains the same. So yeah, I was wondering what you guys thought of that.

ABrighterDay said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I prefer subs because I think the original voice acting is better. Most people I know prefer dubs, so if I’m in company I watch it that way instead. It isn’t a huge deal to me, one way or another.

Deleted User said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Hmm I watch a lot of anime and just recently I have been watching subbed. Subbed is much closer to the actual dialogue, but dubbed gets to the point just as well.

I learned a bit of Japanese so I can semi-understand the language. Plus, it’s fun to catch key phrase in japanese slang you wouldn’t get in formal Japanese education (ex. kokoro *heart*, kimochi *feels*, uso *shush*)

I don’t get how anime fans can “hate” dubbed because it’s not that bad. I guess the quality is obviously not as good and it narrows the selection of anime by quite a lot. But really there’s not that much difference and it’s really depends on what you like.

Armin Parker said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I used to highly prefer watching dubbed anime, and depending on the show I still might prefer the dub to the original. A few years ago, though, I started to watch more subbed anime and I got into theater as well. As I learned about acting and I started to compare dubbed and subbed episodes of the same shows, I found that most subbed anime is just acted out better and the voices more often than not just sound better to me. A lot of dubbed shows that I enjoyed subbed just don’t do it for me anymore. I feel like a lot of people in the anime community are just elitist about subs vs. dubs and it’s unnecessary. I say, watch what you want and don’t listen to what others say.

you’d laugh said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I have nothing against the dubbed versions, I just prefer the subbed because for me it’s part of the overall experience. I just love how the japanese language fits perfectly with the characters’ facial expressions and actions.

LoudnBlunt said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Subs are much better babes…the characters seems more themselves then in a dubbed version..e.g.Naruto …I adore him so much but in a English version its not exactly him.

lilwisher93 said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Sub because I find they tend to ruin the anime when they dub the anime. Dub to me is a lost translation.

Miss_Hiddlestoner said 9 years, 10 months ago:

For me it depends on what anime it is. Some dubs are really good, but others aren’t. One thing that bothers me about dubs is that the voice actors change a lot, and sometimes the whole series isn’t dubbed, so you have to switch to subbed or fan dubbed. Fandubs can be good, but some are really unprofessional. On that note, since the voice actors are fans, sometimes it can be better than an official dub because its more accurate. Subs can be good sometimes, but they can be hard to follow.

Deleted User said 9 years, 9 months ago:

even though I love the realness of subs, I don’t mind watching dubs either. I prefer dubs XD kill me!

Deleted User said 9 years, 9 months ago:

dubs are bad but on the bright side they support whatever anime is dubbed. i still only watch subbed

Hispanicatthedisco said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I love watching anime in its natural state with subtitles. Whenever I watch dub anime, I never picture the characters voices the way they are spoken.

Red Sheep said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I personally prefer watching anime subbed. I know well that sometimes the team of dubbing are great, really amazing, but I just got used to see an anime with that particular characteristics of the voice that only japanese have.
Oh, if we talk about anime, of course. If we’re talking about cartoons, then I admit it that sometimes I prefer them dubbed (I’m not english, so yeah, I see them dubbed).

stuckinthislabyrinth said 9 years, 7 months ago:

It depends on the anime for me. With Death Note and Fairy Tail I much preferred the dubbed instead of subbed; with Fairy Tail it was because it was better for me to watch all the action without reading subs. With Death Note I think it’s just because I watched the dubbed version first, and I liked the voices of the characters.

When I watched Attack on Titan, I much preferred the subbed version, I’m not sure why, but all the facial actions and the sounds of the voices worked a lot better than the English dubbed did. Along with the fact that there aren’t as many dubbed episodes.

tieriarosewell said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Definately sub, because most of the time the meanings change whwhen it’s dubbed. Plus the original dub, the japanese one, really compliments the facial expressions of the character

Deleted User said 9 years, 7 months ago:

I love watching anime, but it depends on the voice actor, a lot of times I prefer subs. Black Butler and Death Note are the best animes for me.