Should I take a tablet of antipsychotic every time I get intrusive thoughts?
Hi, does anyone know if it’s ok to take a tablet of antipsychotic every time I get intrusive thoughts? Or will doing so cause an overdose? My doctor told me to take a tablet each time I get intrusive thoughts but the episodes happen so often I’m afraid I would have to take meds a lot more than 3 times a day. I’m currently taking sizopin. If anyone has an answer, please tell me.
Hi. First of all, I'm not a doctor. This is a copy-paste from Novartis' Clozaril tablets, which are the same as Sizopine, only produced by a different company: -----------------------DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION---------------------- • Starting Dose: 12.5 mg once daily or twice daily. (2.2)
• Use cautious titration and divided dosage schedule. (2.2, 5.3)
• Titration: increase the total daily dosage in increments of 25 mg to 50 mg per day, if well-tolerated. (2.2)
• Target dose: 300 mg to 450 mg per day, in divided doses, by the end of 2 weeks. (2.2)
• Subsequent increases: increase in increments of 100 mg or less, once or twice weekly. (2.2)
• Maximum daily dose: 900 mg (2.2)
- - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - You can find the whole thing here: http://www.pharma.us.novartis.com/product/pi/pdf/Clozaril.pdf How long have you been taking Sizopin? Basically the absolute maximum is 900mg per day. The usual dose is 300mg- 450mg after 2 weeks of taking. I assume that is your current dose. If you need to go higher than that it is best to do it slowly, additional 100 mg per day and no more than 200mg in a week (that's what the info says). Check how many mg tablets you have and figure out how many more you can take. I read that the tablets work best (reach the peak) 2,5h after taking it.