gray beard said 8 years, 10 months ago:

My job requires me to speak to new people all the time. Many times in a one on one situation in my office, and very often on the phone. It has been a huge struggle, and I end up hiding in my office before and after the meeting or phone call just to build myself up to it and to calm myself down afterwards. I take it even harder, because I work in social services with people that are working on their own mental health. I have taken a few classes in social work, but can not bring myself to get my degree as I am so very afraid of spending entire days meeting with people. I have gotten good with talking to people that I know, hiding my anxiety until I can get that time alone in my office and eventually home where i tune out the world. The phone calls to other workers has been the worst for me lately. I have been putting off returning phone calls, and I have even called in sick a few times when I had an appointment with someone I did not know well. I know this is not good for either the person I am supposed to be working with or myself but I am having a lot of trouble dealing with this right now. I also want o add that I stopped seeing my therapist who I had been seeing for 15 years about a year ago as I felt we went as far as we could and my new insurance was not going to pay for the sessions. Now I am regretting that and I am not sure how to move forward. I am not sure how much advice I will be able to follow through on, but I will think about and consider any that is given. I know I need to find a motivation that can get me out of this stall, and I know that my job should be enough of a motivation, but the weight of the anxiety has me held down.

Phoenix said 8 years, 8 months ago:

I think you have to reduce the amount of work you have been doing. You need to take out some time for yourself which will not only help you to reduce stress but also you can calm your anxiety down. Doing some social work is good, but don’t overload yourself, you can help more peoples if you are in good condition.

ladybug48 said 8 years, 6 months ago:

I definitely think you should look into what your insurance will cover therapy-wise. My therapist has helped me tremendously when it comes to my anxiety. Though I am not able to work due to my anxiety problems, she is helping me work through how to handle it and how to deal with situations. My son is in preschool and we have had a few issues with his teachers so while my anxiety is going crazy, she is loving that I am getting a little experience in handling some situations. I tend to completely crumble under stress, but when it has to do with my kid, I will do what I need to do. She knows that and I think she knows that it will work to my advantage. Sorry if I just started rambling on your post. I just meant to show how helpful my therapist has been. If that really isn’t an option, see your regular doctor I see of maybe there is something they can do or something they suggest. And I definitely agree with the previous poster. Try to lighten the work load, take a vacation. Anything to reduce some of the stress that you are feeling. You are no good to yourself or anyone if you completely shut down.