Junels said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Hi guys !

I’ve read quite a lot of posts about people calling themselves “pansexual” and I’m not sure to understand the difference with “bisexual”.

I’ve read on the Internet that it means you can be attracted to any gender, including transexuals or intersex people. However, I have a trouvle understanding how it is different to bisexuality.

What I mean is that, humans can only be women or men. We have two genders and identifying to the opposite sex or not being sure of which one you should identify to does not put you into a third category so I don’t quite get the meaning of that word.

PLEASE do not get me wrong. I am not trying to be mean or judgemental or anything. I’m just really wondering what’s this is all about.

sarahelizabeth said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Pan-sexuality is basically not caring about gender it’s more personality.

Rain said 9 years, 2 months ago:

I think pansexuality often gets mixed up with bisexuality. Though pansexuality is more all round. With bisexuality it’s about being into guys and girls, but with pansexuality that goes a bit further since gender plays no role. Pansexuality is about someone’s personality. You fall for a person for who they are and not for what they look like, so it’s not so specific.

Ivy Carbente said 9 years, 2 months ago:

What @Silent Rain and @I’ll_listen8787 said is completely correct! Pansexual is based more on loving a person regardless of their gender while bisexuality is being “Attracted” to males and females! (: I’m actually really glad you asked, and I hope that answered your question! I’m panromantic and even I think it’s confusing to explain but I’m not attracted to any gender sexually, but I will date and love someone freely for their personality (this is the confusing part so I hope you understand ><) You can still judge on looks! Looks does not equal gender so yeah! Hope that's answered. :) -Ivy

Junels said 9 years, 1 month ago:

I think I’m starting to get it. I’m still not too sure though because when you’re bisexual, you basically don’t care about whether the person is male or female, you just fall in love with whomever you have feelings for, right ?

Ara Lellan said 9 years, 1 month ago:

It depends. A lot of bisexuals don’t care about gender, but there are some who are attracted to guys in a different way than they’re attracted to girls. I’m a pansexual, and the best way I can describe it is that I see people as people, not as gender. You’re not a guy or a girl or a non-binary person in my head, you’re a collection of colours and thoughts and memories and dreams. Maybe you have the prettiest eyes I’ve ever seen, or the cutest smile. Does it really matter if those eyes and that smile belong to a girl or a guy? I’m not attracted to a collection of body parts. I’m attracted to people.

However, bisexuality and pansexuality are very similar. You get people who tick all the boxes for pansexuality but choose to call themselves bisexual. Personally, I use the label ‘bisexual’ a lot with people who don’t know what pansexuality is. It’s just easier, and it doesn’t really matter in the short term. But when you get down to the nuances, I’m most definitely a pansexual.