Hopefullylesspretentious said 9 years, 10 months ago:

How do you cope with flashbacks while they’re happening? I generally try to talk them through, but then infallibly happen only when I’m alone, late at night, when my mind wanders off on a tangent and accidentally ends up at a trigger thought. How do you cope when you’re on your own?

Deleted User said 9 years, 5 months ago:

I’m sorry there has been no replies before now. I have strugged with flashbacks most of my life and the way I cope with them is too breath,focuss on my breathing until the moment passes. I then if I have time go running to try and clear my mind but that is hard to go do when it is late at night when so often they happen. In that case I come on to the net or watch tv,or just try to do anything to distract myself. I often take a shower afterwards too because this helps to calm me down and it almost feels like I’m washing the memories away.
I wish you the best with this and hope they become easier for you to handle and hope you got the help you needed.

Hopefullylesspretentious said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Thank you. I developed some coping mechanisms similar to those of over the last few months, and found a few other memories that if I manage to think of during an episode calm me down considerably. I really appreciate the advice.