Y Z N said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Feel free to ask any questions you have about Islam, as there are a lot of misconceptions out there and wrong “facts” that are spread around.

Humanist Hope said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Shalom, friend!

Please share with us your favorite misconceptions in the meantime! Let us begin with the alleged claims that Islam is violent by nature, please help quell these fears with the tenets of Islam that support being good to your fellow man. :)

Can I ask you, what do you mean by “violent by nature” ?

Dan said 9 years, 5 months ago:

The literal definition of the word Islam in Arabic is Peace

@chrono-danny I am sorry to disappoint you, but that’s not true. The word Islam in Arabic means “submission”, peace means salam. But anyways, the word Islam signifies nothing else but “submission to God”.

Humanist Hope said 9 years, 5 months ago:

I can elaborate.

There is a powerful misconception in the West that Islam is inherently violent. People see angry radicals as common depictions of Islamic faithful and come to believe that is the normal behavior of their faith.

Aha, I see, I understand you now, thanks for clearing it up :)
Yes, that is a very common misconception indeed, if not the most common one.
Translating the Quran from Arabic to English loses some of it’s meaning, because in order to fully understand it, you must master the Arabic language (which I am fluent at, but BY NO MEANS do I master it). Here is a verse that talks about how a Muslim should “call” people into converting to Islam:

“Call, mankind, O Muhammad (s), to the way of your Lord, [to] His religion, with wisdom, [with] the Qur’ān, and fair exhortation, its [the Qur’ān’s] fair exhortations, or with gentle words, and dispute with them by way of that which, that is, by way of that [manner of] disputation which, is best, such as calling [them] to God by way of His signs and calling [them] to His definitive arguments. Truly your Lord knows best, that is, He is fully knowledgeable [of], those who stray from His way and He knows best those who are guided, and will requite them” — Al-Nahl verse: 125 –
A few days ago I was browsing the internet when I came across this video which I liked a lot, if you would like to watch it go ahead,

Deleted User said 9 years, 5 months ago:

@yazan I don’t think that to truly understand Quran you need to master Arabic.it can as easily be understood by translation in English or Urdu.
And as for the misconception about Islam being violent is ofcourse I fact a misconception because Islam teaches us to deal with all matter with peace.
And it’s is said in Islam that if you see a wrongdoing you should try to stop it or if you want someone to learn or accept Islam you can tell them by words by by no means can you use coercive measures.
Those people who commit violent act in name of Islam are Infact not even Muslims.

@yazan This thread is an amazing idea! Why didn’t someone think of this before!

I swear the misconceptions people have about muslims is just beyond annoying. Some of the things I’ve heard are beyond absurd.I’m glad someone is taking the time to explain things a bit and maybe let people know what a truly beautiful religion it is. I’ll join in soon, but it looks like you got this handled :P

Join in now you silly :P I am not a scholar so I need help and research input too :)

Unlikeany said 9 years, 5 months ago:

I’m not an expert by any means however I do know that the english translation of Quran is deceiving, but with the proper effort can be fully understood. Some Arabic words do not properly translate to english and we misconstrue the meaning because of it.

As for Islam being “violent” I can only speak as a westerner…it’s because we are raised to view it that way. We aren’t educated about Islam, only what makes the news, which happens to be violent terroristic situations. Those situations don’t have anything to do with the religion, we are just taught to associate them.

People do the same thing with Islam as Christianity. They pick and choose versus as they want. Many Quranic versus are well known because they are “violent”. However if you read the entire sura you learn they are taken out of context individually. There are more violent verses in the bible than the Quran.

The bottomline is All religions teach us not to judge others. Everyone has a right to their own beliefs. If people made the effort to hear and learn those beliefs the world would be a much more understanding place. Accepting someone has different opinions than you doesn’t mean you have to agree with them. I’ll stop before I start ranting about hypocrisy.

Wise words!

So have you already joined ISIS or just planning to?

Numan Qamar said 9 years, 5 months ago:

:)

@mr-tambourine-man you’re not funny at all. ISIS are horrible, they are doing awful things to people and you think it’s funny to just throw sentences like that at people?