Peanutter said 9 years, 1 month ago:

I’ve noticed that whenever I’m sad I actually listen better because I can relate to the other person a bit more. However when I’m in a happy mood I actually do slightly worse. I’ve been attempting to find a happy medium. Have any thoughts on this?

Annelise said 9 years ago:

Being sad can help you relate to the venter, yes. But if you’re happy, and you’re dealing with a person with low self-esteem or related topics, your energy can sometimes rub off on them. I believe that the best mood to be in is happy.

Humanist Hope said 9 years ago:

That is an excellent question.

When it comes to listening, mood matters. When you are calm and open, you are more capable of being attentive and focused and offering compassion. So the best way to describe it would be to listen when you “feel” like you could be compassionate. Never force yourself to try and listen; your attention will be hurried and you will be less-likely to offer comfort.

Deleted User said 8 years, 11 months ago:

I try to have the same emotions as the person on the other end, feeling for them and trying to be in their shoes and also helping them.

Mooby The Golden Sock said 8 years, 9 months ago:

I usually try to be euthymic.

Deleted User said 8 years, 6 months ago:

Make sure that you’re calm so that you won’t accidentally be rude to the venter, and always make sure that you’re in the right mindset to be able to help people. I like to be happy because it helps me remain positive and that’s what helps me talk to people better, but it all depends on you.

Hayden said 8 years, 6 months ago:

For me, it doesn’t matter whether I’m happy or not, but I do have to feel positive, and I can’t be anxious for any reason.