Deleted User said 10 years, 9 months ago:

Well while venting today I seen many listeners make the venter feel worse.

And felt there needs to be some guidelines more like a request.

Don’t hesitate to add your comments,in case if I am missing something.Correct me if I am wrong in any points.

1) Please be polite when you disconnect an simple indication even if its fake might help the listener.
(Many listeners disconnect without a reason and turns out at times its not the system but its just the listener themselves.)

2) Please give your undivided attention.A simple brb would incase need be.I have seen a lot of situations where,users take a couple of minutes to respond (again its not the system).

3) Motivate venters. Many users especially users in their early teens when they listen to users,the venter has vented its not that you can’t understand the problem,its just your response that gives a grey effect.

4) Keep conversations opened ended,responses like ok and idk seems that you are not interested in the person’s problem.

Game said 10 years, 9 months ago:

I definitely agree with what you have said. I remember when i once vented, that i thought the person was bored because he rarely said anything, and when he did, he just said “ok”.

But another thing i have learned as a listener, and it seems to help a lot of venters, is to really identify the problem, and see it more clearly then before. Sometimes people give a vague outline of the problem and you can misinterpret things, so i like to take a step back and view the whole thing. Then we can dive into the helping more clearly.

rinseandrep said 10 years, 9 months ago:

A couple of articles i read the other day that can help:

http://captainawkward.com/2011/12/05/derailing-how-not-to-talk-to-people-who-are-telling-you-something-sad/

http://captainawkward.com/2013/06/29/491-a-dream-job-is-taking-me-back-to-the-city-i-left-10-years-ago-to-escape-my-abusive-family-how-can-i-keep-myself-safe/

(towards the end, “If you are looking for advice for how to be a safe person for an abuse survivor, here are three first steps:”)

I’ve found that it’s hard not to ask questions to understand the context, so the part about not interrogate them has to be adapted compared to someone you know already.

Edit: I’ll add this too for the rejecters:

http://www.happiness-project.com/happiness_project/2011/01/assay-a-useful-term-the-help-rejecting-complainer-why-dont-you-try-no-that-wont-help/

Thank you for starting this, I would like to add some comments of my own:

When it comes to your religious and spiritual views, I understand that those might be positive things in your life and might have led you to a better life. However this is not a site to convert people and I think that the focus should be helping the venter through his problem, even if your intentions are great I feel that launching the conversation in a religious direction when the venter is not responsive to that kind of talk can make things very awkward and difficult. It can create suspicion of the listeners motives and can very well put a distance between the listener and the venter which is detrimental to the whole process. So I would say that those sorts of beliefs should not be forced too much into the conversation, a few simple words might suffice and a deeper conversation on that matter should only be approached if the venter is clearly responsive and seems like he wants to talk about it. Don’t try to force it on anyone.

Another incredibly serious issue: treat anyone who is having suicidal thoughts with dignity and respect. Don’t be rude to them or treat them like dirt, refrain from accusing them of being cowardly, selfish, stupid, or harsh negative things like that. DO not outright judge them merely for the simple fact that they are contemplating suicide, it is a serious issue that many face and even though it might seem like easy common sense for you to do it, it’s not the same for everyone, and those rude and disparaging comments that you believe are motivating the venter are merely damaging their self esteem even further. I think it’s sad that I even have to type this out, i’ve seen so much hatred and negativity towards people me when I expressed suicidal thoughts, and heard stories from others who have encountered the same, please even if your intentions are good it’s not helping at all.

Nathaniel said 10 years, 9 months ago:

I also agree! You want to be a positive force, without any judgement. I also let the venter type for as long as they need to before I reply, because if you say something while they are typing, you might miss something that is important.

SetiDrow said 10 years, 9 months ago:

What do you do in the case of a person whos suicidal/problems <— what have yous, become the epitome of the issue while they talk to you and nothing you say/suggest or do, gets through to them? What will you do in this case ( this is more the issue often times for me than not, all the ones that do not turn down this route are relationship issues and even then mmost people expect you to know an answer). curious to see how some of you other guys handle this type of conflict of interest.

alot of you have very good points and good ways of going about it, and i think the best thing i always do/say is "take as long as you need, im not going anywhere" or something along the lines to let themknow im here, even if i do go somewhere randomly. im still there.

Guys, none of us here are professionals. The only guidelines to follow are the ones which remind us to be polite and open minded.

Ides said 10 years, 9 months ago:

“Guys, none of us here are professionals. The only guidelines to follow are the ones which remind us to be polite and open minded.”

^^^^^^^^^^^

You guys make some valid points but one that I disagree with and that bothers me when listening is when someone leaves if it takes the listener more than a minute to respond. When I’m listening, I genuinely do want to hear your problem and help in any way I can, but there are often times when I actually want to think about how I respond to you. If someone doesn’t respond for 5 minutes or something that’s one thing, but often times people leave after 30 seconds of no response, often times while I’m typing. It can be frustrating, and though I know most venters are going through a lot, listeners are here volunteering their time to try to help you, so try to have some patience with them. We all try to do our best. =)

I had an experience the first time I vented here. I did not get greeted by the listener. I was feeling really bad anyway and when this happened, I felt worse.

1) try to greet the venter. Say something like, “Hello. How are you? What would you like to talk about?” or something. Not just sit there and be quiet.

2) Don’t talk to the venter in caps. They did this and I got scared.

3) if you have internet- or chat-connection problems, try to tell the venter that if you can. Many of us don’t know if it’s the connection or the listener when they are quiet.

4) I learned “active listening”, where you nod you head or “reflect” by validating the person’s feelings, and not so much trying to solve their problems. Online, I will type: (nods) in a chatroom, to let the person know that I am there. when a listener does not say anything for a while, it can make the venter feel like the listeners are either not there or bored or asleep or left the computer.

Another thing to reiterate: don’t scold someone if they are suicidal. In my experience, persons who feel this way want to end their suffering, not die. (just my experience as a sudicide survivor and also someone who has a suicidal history) often when we feel this way, we feel there is no way to end our pain except to die. So please don’t scold the suicidal person or tell them they are negative.

thanks for this.

I am not sure if I qualify to be here because I am also a venter, but I do have issues on both ends. Venting and listening. I am also anxious about not “doing it right”, too.

No we are not professionals, but let’s do our best to make venters feel okay about being in there; it’s hard to do it sometime—ask for help. I still don’t like to.

thanks,

Carol

“When I’m listening, I genuinely do want to hear your problem and help in any way I can, but there are often times when I actually want to think about how I respond to you. ”

^ THIS, and the rest of what @ides said, patience needs to come from both ends because no, we may not be professional paid therapists, but we are professionals at living life, and experiencing it, so we may want to take the time to think about how we would go about things based on our own experiences, or what we would or could have done differently, and pass that advice down to someone else.

I agree. People come here to feel better, not worse about themselves or their situation. They could be in the darkest state of mind with no one to talk to, and being ignored or feeling as though their problems don’t matter is hurtful.

Anonymous said 10 years, 9 months ago:

I fully agree with all that’s been sad here.

But also Id like to add that some of us may have some kind of training in helping people as I do.
So id like to add that if we are going to pause a while as we think of what we need to say to help the venter,then just that!.Or something like.. Want be a moment! Im thinking of the best way to answer that to help you.
It is better than having some one wait for a while.I know If I was waiting a minute or so I would think Ive been disconnected.Heck! have you ever timed what a minute is like?Its a long time.

I Hope this helps. :-)