Odie said 10 years, 10 months ago:

I’m a listener in my 30′s. I often get venters in their teens, including minors; you all probably do as well, they seem to be a fairly high percentage of the venter population.

I’ll try to give them the best, most honest advice I can, but it still feels a bit weird asking someone that young for personal details about their lives–i.e. just enough to understand their problem better. And often the problem itself is something deeply personal.

How do you deal tactfully with that situation? Does anyone else feel the same way?

Diana said 10 years, 10 months ago:

Now I feel the need for more information to understand :) What kinds of details do you ask? I’ve also got teenage venters and I only asked details about the problem they talked about. If it was deeply personal and intimate … I was tactful any way I could. For example, talking to a venter about a hypothetical situation she asked about for a few minutes before gently asking if it had to do with her or someone she knew (it was easy to tell, but I find not getting into it too suddenly can help). On the other hand, some useful questions that may need to be asked could still feel like a lot to the venter no matter how tactful you are. Unlike the advantages of a face to face conversation from which most people wouldn’t up and run away, on an anonymous online chat it’s so easy to disconnect.

On the other hand, I think a much younger listener would be more difficult for me to deal with (if I logged in as a venter) than a much younger venter. You’ve been there, at their age, had different experiences but at least you have a basic understanding of what that age is like and you can build the details you’re given upon that.

Mark said 10 years, 10 months ago:

Diana, I agree that having a much younger listener would be more difficult. Though sometimes you can be surprised at how mature and insightful a younger listener can be (but you’d never know their age unless you asked, anyway).

And in terms of listeners in general, I only ask about details necessary to the situation. If we have talked for a long time I might ask their name. But mostly I just listen and sometimes the other details come out when they’re talking.

Mark, I know there are some really bright, insightful teens. I don’t consider age to be a sign of emotional maturity or intelligence. I was referring to needing to talk to someone about certain age-related issues that someone much younger likely has no experience with – not that they can’t be good listeners, I’m sure they can, I was talking here just about my needs and comfort in very particular situations :)

Odie said 10 years, 10 months ago:

@dianatapsy

Even asking age and gender feels creepy to me, but both of those things are critical for context.

Cultural context may be important; I will occasionally ask ethnicity.

As far as all of the above is concerned, these are all things that would be immediately apparent in a face-to-face conversation; but it feels very different to ask in an online setting.

I also frequently ask what the home situation is like, to find out if they have a stable environment/useful parents to help them.

Other questions may occur to me depending on what they are telling me.

blackdog said 10 years, 10 months ago:

I second @Diana about teens. There have been times when I have both listened to and vented at teens who were much wiser than many people my age and older. At the same time wisdom != experience.

@Odie

Oh, I see now. The home situation and ethnicity may be a bit intrusive but they sound very useful. Gender and age sound fine to me … though gender has been apparent to me from the conversation so far, I guess I was just lucky. I’m sure you’re doing a great job. You sound very thoughtful and interested in helping.

Annie. said 10 years, 10 months ago:

I am 15 myself and sometimes when I vent I’m afraid that people (whom are usually much older than I am) won’t take me and my problems seriously, so, when people actually ask details about the problems it makes me feel better cause it seems like you’re paying attention and shows you care. Unless if you ask weird things even though we’re young most of us can detect weirdos and we would probably disconnect, but I’ve been here quite long (even though I just created this account today) and I’ve never come across anyone weird so yeah..

Logseman said 10 years, 10 months ago:

I think that the most important part with younger venters is to help them see that they’re not alone. They’re people who use their reason and come to certain conclusions. Many of the problems they vent about come from those conclusions they get to: body image issues, isolation, hiding secrets…

As adults, we need to use our experience and the fact that we’ve walked in their shoes once, so we can understand why they’re taking the decisions they’re taking. We’re in an excellent position to give a new frame to their problems and give them insights. With that help, they will be able to reason how to go forward. It’s empowering them, not patronising them, what our goal as listeners should be.

TurtleGirl20 said 10 years, 10 months ago:

Can’t this website make a change to where you choose the age of the person you speak to, like not a specific age but you know what I mean. It would help a lot more, because I am 19, and sometimes people do hanged on me because I’m not old enough. Just a suggestion.

Logseman said 10 years, 10 months ago:

That suggestion was discussed here: http://blahtherapy.com/questions/different-chat-rooms-for-diffrent-age-groups/

Deleted User said 10 years, 5 months ago:

I have kind of the same problem. I once spent like an hour listening to marital problems and could actually give some advice that seemed to help and make sense.

And then through conversation it came out that I was (at that time) 22 – obviously I couldn’t possibly be helpful and that person disconnected. Seriously, 5 seconds ago she/he was more than happy to take my advice…

Deleted User said 10 years, 5 months ago:

I am 14 and yeah 3 conversations in a row ended i have something real to speakk about and 3 conversations in a row ended cuase the people just didnt want to chat iwtha 14 yr old i was like UGH BLAH

integrated yard said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Most of the venters I have had so far have been 19 or under and although I am only 23, until recently I had forgotten how much teenagers face and how crazy life can be in high school – definitely not an experience I would want to repeat again today.

Its amazing how many of these younger venters just need someone to listen, to love them, remind them how special they are, believe in them and care about what they have to say and how they feel – a lot of their ‘deeper’ issues I have realised, come back to these few things.

Vivid Melody said 10 years, 5 months ago:

I just try to take their lead and go with what is comfortable for them. I don’t feel uncomfortable unless I sense something is making them uncomfortable.