Evo said 7 years, 10 months ago:

I’ve got a lot of issues I should probably bring to a psychologist. But that isn’t cheap, so I’ve been thinking about self help for a least one thing I might be able to deal with on my own. I’m just not sure that I should.
I pick my skin and I have been since about 3rd grade. Usually it revolves around acne, though stress / anxiety plays a large part as well. I definitely feel better while picking, but usually feel worse after; even more so if someone points out the scabs.
So I had an idea, I could keep a journal. Writing down as much information as possible on this subject. I could show it to a psychologist when and if I get around to it, or I keep track of potential progress. By progress I mean trying to better manage my acne, and clipping my nails too short to use.
These things won’t keep me from picking altogether, I know that. But it may reduce my picking and be a good first step.
I suppose things could also go very wrong, like I find something to replace my nails if I’m desperate. (which could also be useful info to a psychologist idk) I’d just like to know your opinion on this, advice if you have it. Thanks.

Devereux said 7 years, 10 months ago:

I think it’s a good idea that you’re documenting whenever you pick at yourself. It’s all very well trying to get yourself to stop but that’s just treating the symptoms rather than the underlying cause, which is what this will help with.

In this case, it’s all about making a conscious effort to figure out just how often you do it and what exactly made you do it specifically so that you can come back to your diary, see the pattern then try to deal with it from there.

And if you do feel you need to go to a therapist, it’ll at least make their job easier so that they can move into teaching you techniques to help you stop, or at least reduce it.

I wish you the best of luck :)