Red Sheep said 7 years, 3 months ago:

Hey everyone, I didn’t know where to ask, so I’m just going to write it here. :D

This is the thing. A month ago I wanted to start seeing a psychologist to help myself ordering emotions and feelings without always feel so disturbed by them, but it didn’t really start well with her. Perhaps it’s because I’m an introvert, and she seemes so outgoing, but I just couldn’t talk about my issues, and we ended up talking about a way different thing (my shyness). I thought of talking to her properly in our second meeting, which happened a month later (a few days ago) and for me it went bad. Since it was just our second meeting, and it past so much time, she didn’t really remembered what we talked about, she pulled out her paper where she wrote a few things of the past meeting, and she just started giving me advices on how to make a group, meet people, etc (things I wasn’t interested at all).

Long story short, in the end she told me, of course, that she didn’t see any problem with me, and told me that it would have been better to stop the meetings after the third or the fourth one. I forced a smile and I thank her, then a few days later I just wrote her that there was no need to continue the meetings, and stopped seeing her.

Now, I didn’t feel at ease with her, and it’s normal, I saw other psychologists in the past and even though they helped me a lot, I always had this feeling that I couldn’t just tell them everything. Now I don’t know if I should try with a new one, at least to talk about me and what I keep in my head for so long, or avoid them. And now I’m just scared that other psychologists will judge me or stop me, or won’t understand/listen to me, I feel like I can’t talk to any of them because I can’t trust them, but there is actually no one I can trust with the things I have in my head, so I often restrain myself from talking (and this is becoming a problem, because I noticed that whenever I talk I have problems expressing myself), what should I do?

rinseandrep said 7 years, 3 months ago:

It could just have been a bad fit. I read this recently
“How do you (“how does one”) shop for a therapist?”

http://justaquickquestion.tumblr.com/post/148177474395

and it can go along with this template to help people evaluate therapists: https://tinyurl.com/jpqthzy (mentioned on: https://captainawkward.com/2016/04/19/855-overcoming-imposter-syndrome-and-accessing-mental-health-support/ ) (@jeles)

This was really useful, thanks! :D

mariko said 7 years, 3 months ago:

@jeles I went through the exact same thing but when I went to my family doctor for a checkup she told me my anxiety was blowing off the roof so she gave me stronger anxiety medication (in my case I struggle with this).
But I relate to your frustration, you seek help and it looks so fake and forced, I’m really sorry for that bad experience.
But like @rinseandrep probably was a bad fit. There’s tons of good therapists out there. So keep doing your research and use the links this person provided.
Wish you all the best darling, keep being strong~

Thank you @marikofujimoto, I appreciate a lot! I’m still a bit scared of trying a new therapist, but I would like to solve these problems with someone, I’ll wait a bit and then start a new search ^_^