Hopefullylesspretentious said 9 years, 11 months ago:

There are those of us who want a game that brings us to the verge of pissing ourselves in terror. Personally, I’m trying to build a to-play list, and I’m guessing other people probably want to play some decent horror games as well, so I figure some sort of group recommendation thing may be in order. I’m personally playing through system shock 2, outlast, and silent hill 2 right now. I have more on my list, but anyone have anything they think I should get to next?

positive stranger said 9 years, 11 months ago:

outlast whistle blower is to be scarier than the original outlast.. it has some crazy insane scenes.. but am telling you it’s worth it.. damn those jump scares >_< you should try that as well :D

The Giggle Blizzard said 9 years, 11 months ago:

OP, you picked two of the best horror games out there (SS2 and SH2). You’ve gotta play Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of The Earth. Such a great game, creepy, good story and cthulhu? If you’ve read Lovecraft’s stuff it’ll be a treat aswell.

Unless you’ve played through the Amnesia games then you should. If you have then you should play through the Penumbra games, same developer, they play out similarly and are arguably just as good or even better, though I personally prefer Amnesia.

I played through penumbra and about half of amnesia the dark descent. I’m a fan, but I was kind of annoyed with that whole water danger thing, it wasn’t scary in the slightest and made solving puzzles more irritating than anything else. I’m trying to get my hands on a copy of CoCDCotE, I’m a big Lovecraft fan. I want to have a go at whistleblower as soon as I finish outlast, but I’m trying to get my hands on whiteday and prioritize that. I hear Whiteday is literally the scariest game ever made.

The Giggle Blizzard said 9 years, 11 months ago:

The water monster was overhyped for sure, I found it terrorizing but far from the most horrifying part of the game.

Also another game that is decent is Cry of Fear, it has that depressing 90′s grey urban atmosphere with some cool monsters and a freaky soundtrack.

I’ve heard good things about it. Isn’t it a mod for half life 2? I didn’t find the water monster terrifying at all. Literally only annoying.

anonymous canadian said 9 years, 10 months ago:

“Among The Sleep” was just released on Thursday or Friday I think. I haven’t played it yet but it looked pretty good. Also I can’t wait for “The Evil Within” all the other games I would recommend have been mentioned other than the Ocean House Hotel mission in “Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines” even though the majority of the game isn’t scary.

Hopefullylesspretentious said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Among the sleep looks amazing, I really want to give it a playthrough when I move on to my next set of games. Has anyone tried the experimental horror projects that are coming out for the oculus rift? They look terrifying. Also, has anyone had a solid go at SCP containment breach? I only got to play it for about 20 minutes, but it was like being locked in a huge maze with a bunch of weeping angels. The fact that you autoblink every three seconds doesn’t help.