dropsofjupiter said 9 years, 2 months ago:

I’m studying psych in college right now and I was wondering if anyone else noticed how it spilled into other areas of your life?

This became glaring apparent to me last night (I felt like shouting eureka, not gonna lie) when my mom, totally out of the blue, verbally cut me down, toyed with my emotions to make me feel guilty and made me sound like a very selfish, manipulative, rude person…and I spotted it for exactly what it was. Usually, when she directs her anger towards me, I get very upset and I don’t handle it well because maybe it’s my fault? Maybe I need to work harder at being a better person? etc. etc. I’ve dealt with this for years and years and I always thought I was the problem.

But I wasn’t upset this time. Like AT ALL. I’d just studied that kind of behavior in school and I knew it had nothing to do with me.
I find that especially when I meet challenging behaviors such as what my mom exhibited last night, behaviors that have baffled me for years, with my growing knowledge of psychology, the behaviors suddenly MAKE SENSE. I know the reasoning behind the behaviors, why the behaviors are being taken out on me and I don’t get upset.
I started studying psych because I wanted to get a career in it. I don’t know if that’ll actually happen but I’m really, really glad I chose to study psychology because I feel like the information will be super helpful, no matter where life takes me.

Does anyone else experience this? Do you notice how psychology can be applied to better understand the people around you?

Deleted User said 9 years ago:

I’m only taking psychology as an elective in high school, but I’ve noticed it, too. It’s fascinating how applicable the subject is, especially hearing about hot buttons such as feminism and LGBT rights on the news. You can see other people’s sides and opinions so clearly.

Deleted User said 8 years, 11 months ago:

I studied psychology for four years at university, and have had similar experiences. It does give you a lot of aha! moments. I think, it’s because it’s easy for it to lead to thoughts within your own life. It’s wonderful for that reason, but also makes it quite difficult. Because, it’s easy to become entangled in your own thoughts and issues while completing study.

The information is always helpful! Still today, I find myself always intrigued because whether you choose a career or not, you learn a lot about the reasons why people behave the way they do.

I feel I unconsciously was drawn to psychology, for a better understanding of myslelf. I also wanted to help others, but it brought up a lot of things for me and I had to take some time away from it to work on myself. I am considering getting back into things now, and It’s been a couple of years after a 3 years break, and four years of studying it. I don’t regret it though, and whatever decision I make, it was worth the knowledge I gained.