Mitzi said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Hello.
Lately I’ve been feeling this desperate need to have a real friend. You know, not just “someone to hang out with” or someone that has a few common interests with you.
A real friend, to me, is someone you can talk to about every single thing without feeling awkward, inappropriate or just in the wrong place at the wrong time. That person is not necessarily the one that can give you good advice, but the one who is able to suffer with you, and say “I am here”. Also, he/she has to be the one you can be happy and go crazy with. The real friend should not judge you. And, in my opinion, this person should be someone that if I say “let’s run!” just like this, wouldn’t ask why or where, but would just run and be crazy with me.
Maybe this is too good to be true and people like this are very very hard to find. But I really hope I will find this person, one day.

What about you? How should a real friend be, in your opinion? Have you found this person? :)

(sorry for my English, I am italian)

mongoose said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Not only have I found a person like this but a few. I am very wealthy when it comes to friendship. I could leave my place come home to find it burn to the ground. All my worldly possessions gone in a blaze and I don’t think I would flinch or shed a tear. I would pick up my phone… call a friend and I know everything would be fine. Any number of people would take me in for as long as I needed to get back on my feet.

So many stories but as an example. I was out with some friends camping and I don’t travel long distances well so I have to take gravol and sleep or I’ll get really sick. On the long trip back from camping the vehicle we were in broke down on the highway and I woke up when the vehicle stopped. We were sort of stranded by had called for help. About that time a good friend of mine called me to see what I was up to. I let him know my situation and immediately without saying a thing he was in his car. Only reason I knew this was because he said “okay so where are you I’m coming to get you?” I didn’t ask for help… I didn’t even really need help but the first thought on his mind was “friend is in trouble time to get him out.” I told him we were fine that help was already on the way but he would have drove 2 hours just to help out a friend.

All of my friends are like this and I am the same for them.

I’ve also found out that a friend can be the person that doesn’t give up on you even when you’ve given up on yourself. They will always cheer you on and pick you up when you get down. I simply cannot be miserable around my friends… there are never any bad times. I would say I have 5 very close friends… yeah I know 5. Out of those 5 I’ve had disagreements with 3 of them over the course of 20+ years we have been friends. Out of all those disagreements only one of those friends did I ever stop speaking to for a time and that was a few weeks and we made amends. Same guy twice actually… and as much as I was involved in the disagreement anyone would agree that he can be difficult to get along with. There aren’t really any fights between us and very little disagreement.

So how do you find these people? Well 3 of them I went to school with. My longest friend I met when I was 10… best buddies ever since. Another friend shortly after that when I was 11 and then in 7th grade the Third. My fourth friend in grade 10. I met my “sister” who is a best friend lives 4 hours away when I was 16 and that was on the internet!

My friends and I have spent so much time together… sometimes lived together that we know each other so well. I don’t mean we can tell you about likes and dislikes I mean personality. You could put a hypothetical situation on the table and my friends could tell you how I would react to it. There are times when I feel vulnerable that they can know me so well that there is nothing to hide behind… but I trust them and there is no worry.

I could ramble on for pages about them and stories but I won’t do that instead here is what I think has lead to these relationships.

I am not a judgmental person at all. I have a philosophy on life that lets people live how they want to and so long as they are happy and not hurting anything then I am happy for them.

I do not put up with drama or “BS.” I have a very low tolerance for it and so any relationships in my life that are full of drama or BS I simply end on the instant. Now out of all my friends sure we have had disagreements but one every 10 years is acceptable to me. I think this leads to you having more time for good people and a much more positive outlook on life when you aren’t constantly dealing with drama.

I genuinely like to help people and gain great satisfaction in doing so. I’ve done lots for my friends and my friends do a lot for me. Everyone wins!

That is about all I can think of for now. Good luck!

The Giggle Blizzard said 9 years, 10 months ago:

A real friend to me is someone who values my opinion, understands my situation, knows the good aswell as the bad of me and still likes me.

littlewhittle said 9 years, 10 months ago:

A real friend to me is someone who won’t judge me, someone who will support me and respect me as I do them. A real friend is someone who is willing to stick by me even though they know what the situation is with me. A real friend is someone who laughs at you if you fall over, but will always be there to pick you up.

LoudnBlunt said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Well a ‘real’ friends are people who you feel very comfortable with and can talk about everything even your sex life! Because true friends are friends that can balance each other and trust each other without reminding. Also, a true friend is a friend that will cover you when your vulnerable meaning they will defend you when your too exposed. Lastly, laugh at your bad jokes after they point out that’s a bad joke but they laugh anyway. Finally, they make you a better person even though they know your faults and adores your personality very much…that’s my definition of a real friend.

-Take care x

Deleted User said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I think everyone here has provided amazing answers to your question, so I will offer my two cents and keep it short and sweet.

I used to think that a “true friend” was someone who would answer your call ASAP or drop everything and run to your side, but as reality has set in I have realized that a true friend is someone who is unaffected by distance or life. Either you always have a close relationship, see each other and keep in touch, or if for whatever reason you don’t see them for awhile…when you finally do see them it is as if they never left.

Soft Beast said 9 years, 9 months ago:

You can’t ask that question ! you can’t put words to describe a real friend , you just can’t . It’s like love , but in a non-romantic way , nobody can tell what love is , you just feel it and can’t describe it , same goes for a real friend , it’s there but can’t put words to tell how he/she is .

The Giggle Blizzard said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Different people seek different attributes in people, and usually people have more than one friend because different people have different attributes and depending on times and situations you need different people.

icychoco said 9 years, 9 months ago:

they said it all.

Hearmenow said 9 years, 8 months ago:

A real friend, is someone I can laugh with, and who will listen and can trust with anything, but more than that I WANT to tell them everything. Who always know exactly what you need, who can read between the lines and know you better than yourself. Someone who is passionate, and we fight but I know that when it’s over well be sitting on the bed eating Ben& Jerry’s and laughing at people acting like fools. I don’t want a copy of myself, but a person who makes me the best I can be, who’ll accept all I am and wouldn’t dream of changing me.

Friends, are the family you pick all on your own.