SkipWaddles said 10 years, 3 months ago:

OK–I love Moffat; I love Cumberbitch and Freemang but what’s the dealio with the plot points of the Series 3 finale?

SUPER ULTRA DEFCON SPOILER ALERT

So Mary’s a retired CIA assassin all this time? OK–you can have that one, Moffat. I’ll buy it. But then you have her in the room with Magnusson about to pop him–the one threat to her new life and she doesn’t do it. A trained operative with everything on the line doesn’t do it. Instead, she nearly-mortally wounds her husband’s best friend and leave Maggie (that’s what I’m calling nickel novel, Mads Mikkelson knockoff Magnusson) completely unharmed. And because…? John would be mildly inconvenienced by being a suspect? To a murder for which he has no weapon for? To one where (assuming Mary shoots Sherlock WHILE killing Maggie) his best friend is also wounded? It’s already established in the Sign of Three that having a murder weapon is the key to solving ANY murder in Sherly world so, what? A veteran black ops agent wouldn’t even think about that?

And the whole point of Sherlock’s desperate mind-palace search after being shot is that it was so life-and-death that only a genius could survive a wound like what Mary gave him. If Sherlock died then instantly, Mary fails her objective to kill the man threatening her, she is in even grater harm now that Maggie knows Mary is after him, the next best chance to stopping Maggie is dead, AND John’s best friend is dead.

That’s shit writing right there.

Even if Mary kills Maggie, wounds Sherl and tries to live a life with John blissfully unaware–the story can still go on. Maggie is VERY likely to be the kind of person who, upon death, has all these secrets printed out in his newspapers to rake in massive profits for his company and Sherl has to stop future damage while rehabbing a crippling wound (and bullets to the gut have longer than a few days recovery time, unless you’re a time lord).

The episode rubbed me raw like a pumice stone. Especially after the heart-galling Sign of Three. Really wished this series had more than 3 eps so they wouldn’t leave with so many holes in this boat. I mean, you can only get so far with Cumberbatch reading sexy words right into your vulva.

CardiacLiberty said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I still can’t wait for season four, though. I thought season three wrapped up pretty good, for a Sherlock story. I mean, Moriarty is back! How exciting was that?

Alwaysopen said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I sort of agree with you SkipWaddles with there should be more then 3 episodes in a season, so that more could be explained, but I think they do it quite well if you think about it. I also agree with CardiacLiberty, season four can not come fast enough! I want to know how Moriarty is not dead, we saw him commit suicide! Even Sherl did! What?!