Elevated Goddess said 10 years ago:

Happy Monday :) ( holds up massive cup of coffee ) lol!

How are all my love bugs, today? Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend filled with many blessings and memories.

Lately, I’ve been reflecting on a certain issue. I always found it a little harder for some of my friends, especially those with a Caribbean, Latino or African, Asian, Middle Eastern etc. to come out and be accepted by family or friends. Or even try to come to terms with what makes them truly happy.

Not to say that other groups don’t experience this as well. But I always found that I had to be extra careful about who knew what etc., especially when it comes to elders or even with members at church.

Even topics like mental health, gender roles, etc. seems a little taboo in our community.

Have you come out? Why or why not? Have you fully accepted yourself? Has anything changed? Are you happy? Have your family and friends been supportive/accepting? Share your experience and anything else that may cross your mind in regards to this matter.

Stay blessed,

Elevated Goddess

Kirstin Lopez said 10 years ago:

Both of my parents approached me about the issue, because they already knew. It’s not even that i have some stereotypical demeanor about myself; parents often know anyways. Some try to ignore it. My parents have accepted it. They were okay with it completely and it gave me such a weight off of my shoulders and i’ve never been one to hide it from strangers, friends or even co-workers and teachers. It’s never been something i was ashamed of. I have rarely encountered people with an issue about my sexuality. One person int he 9th grade simply moved to the other side of the room. I did have one instance where a drunk male saw my girlfriend and i holding hands and repeatedly called us “fags”, but apologized once he was sober, as he was our neighbor.
Half of my father’s side is very religious and latino and i do believe it’s harder with them. Ive mentioned it time and time and they ignore it. I introduced them to my girlfriend at my graduation and they drove back to their state and didn’t stay and my grandpa told my dad he would not have shook her hand had he understood she was my girlfriend. I do not speak to them now. There is no reason for me to be ashamed. I am proud and i am happy.

Deleted User said 10 years ago:

I came out that i was bi sexual about 5 months ago, i had been seeing a girl for about six months and everything was great, i really loved her, and it was the first serious relationship i had ever had, which was great seeing as for most of my life i have had really bad trust and commitment issues.
The one night before anyone knew that i was bi, my mom took my mobile off me, and started reading my texts, i begged her to stop, i didnt want my mom or my family to find out as they are really judgemental, (plus some of the messages from my girlfriend were a bit rude!) and would only bully me about it. But she carried on reading them, when she saw the messages from my girlfriend, my mom hit me, and then started shouting and told everyone else in the house that i was gay.

Her and my dad then went on to tell me that i had shamed the family, and that i was a disgrace and a freak, and repeatedly asked why i couldnt be normal? I was really upset, but they still didnt stop.
Then when they met my girlfriend, they went on and on at my girlfriend for ages and they just wouldnt leave her alone, till the day came when me and my girlfriend decided to break up, it broke my heart i had really loved her, and i was gutted, but i couldnt stand by and watch my family bully her, like they bullied me just for being gay, it just wasnt fair.

So my family never accepted the fact that i was bi sexual, and i havent been in a relationship since, its hard because I have accepted the fact, i just dont see why my family cant.