Em said 9 years, 3 months ago:

I am in a budding relationship. He makes me laugh, remembers things I said in some of our first conversations, and is a true gentleman. The only problem is I’m 17… and he’s 21.

I am going to start off by saying neither of us were expecting this. We met at work (he no longer works there), and we bonded over an endless string of common interests and witty banter. It was almost impossible not to have a crush on him. Turns out, he felt the same way. We both felt uneasy about it at first, like stepping through a mine field. Nonetheless, we still took the chances.

My parents were in complete disapproval at first, but they soon loosened up and let me see him, with a few rules. The rules were simple, and not unreasonable: We cannot hang out every week. Nothing serious until after I graduate. No sneaking around. I agreed to these rules, and I have been completely open with them from that point forward.

We’ve been out on a few dates, nothing more than lunch and a movie. We chat about movies and video games, which TV shows we recommend, and whatever funny thing his cat did that day. We tested the waters, and now we’re on the verge of taking the plunge. So, it was time to get serious. He and I talked about our expectations (Was this more than just friends? Are our feelings the same? Etc.) and how fast we wanted to go. I told him that because I was underage, that I did not want to move fast and that we should wait to move into anything serious. He understood this, and he agrees.

There are many problems with this age difference. One that seems to be straining us right now is the opinions of others. My friends have told me that they see nothing wrong because he makes me feel comfortable and he doesn’t pressure me into anything. His friends, however, have been giving him a hard time, but he says that it doesn’t bother him. I just hope that he listens to their concerns and addresses them maturely. With these differing levels of support, I wonder how we will be affected. Another one is the fact that I am under 18. This is obviously a huge concern for not only both of us, but also the people around us. This is why we are taking things slow and remaining at the speed we are currently at (going on dates every once in a while) until the circumstances change.

The relationship is relatively new, and nothing has been made “official” yet. We continue to talk openly about our lives and how we are at separate times in our lives (I’m going to be starting college, while he has already been in it. I am just beginning to become independent, while he has been independent for a long time.). Both of us have thought long and hard about our age difference, even before we begun to see each other. But since the relationship has barely even begun, we have not seen any effects of our separate ages.

Recently, I have been told that older men who date teenage girls are “abusive and predatory”. While this is absolutely true for some cases, I am not sure if it applies to mine. There has been no pressure to do anything I am not comfortable with, no putting blame on my age, no pulling me further from my friends and family. I am fully aware that abusive relationships do not normally start out abusive, which is why I am giving myself sufficient space to back out if I see any red flags. There is also the question of “What does a 21 year old want with a 17 year old?” I have asked myself this question many times, but so far, he has never given me a reason to doubt his intentions.

I am here to ask for opinions and advice. Am I handling this correctly? Is there anything we can do to make this work? Should I even try to make this work? Am I not seeing everything? I want to evaluate this before moving too far forward because I feel like that is the logical thing to do.

Feel free to message me if you would like.

ima_snaaake said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Honestly, I don’t see a huge problem in it because the age difference isn’t really drastic. You’re 17 and that’s just becoming an adult. It also seems that you are handling it very well and he is respecting yours and your your parents wishes. That is great! How respectful of him!
I would say not worry about what others think, you’re just about 18 where it is not illegal and in some states 17 is okay I believe. And usually know one really notices anyways by just looks.
And now story time: I started dating my husband at 17, he was also 21. Now just about 7 years later we’re married and have a beautiful baby. Just sayin. :)

mullofkintyre said 9 years, 3 months ago:

I think you two are handling this very maturely. As a 20 year old and have been around a lot of guys in their twenties some of them are still boys and not men – as my mother always says, at heart boys are really 3 years younger than what age they actually are – but your guy seems to be responsible which is a great start. The last thing that should get to you is your mind and over thinking, because sometimes your mind can input things into your head that are a far stretch from the reality – the brain likes to have definitive answers to things we have no control over or to things that are uncertain, so as a way for things to make sense we fill those voids a lot of the time with over complications or what ifs.

If in your gut it feels right to you then go for it. Life is about new experiences and perhaps venturing out of “the norm”, or your comfort zone. I don’t see any need to rush into anything either with this since you’re both testing the waters. Also, if in the long run this relationship doesn’t work then that is okay. If it was meant to be it will be, and sometimes we meet the right people in our life but at the wrong time. So try to keep a positive mindset and above all else be free and gain control of your life and independence. The great thing about entering adulthood is that you have the say-so to make your own decisions. But we at blahtherapy are always here to help when you get stuck :)

Deleted User said 9 years, 3 months ago:

major overthinking on your part the age gap is nothing, his friends are at him because they are bored with noting else to do. guys tease each other all the time if it wasent this it would be something else. bottom line your dating him not his friends so who cares what they think. he is dateing you not your friends so who care what they think. in some countries your an adult already. all you will be by the time you get to 18 and you can do what you want. go and have fun see where it goes and good luck with it

ima_snaaake said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Oh yes, the teasing between guys is just because they’re guys. My husband got it too. his friends have also been in relationships with younger women. It is very common from the beginning of time, for men to go for younger women, and women to go for older men. And yeah, they’re mentally younger anyways…haha

strawberry_love said 9 years, 3 months ago:

The age gap isnt that dramatic and could work but my only advice is to stay true to yourself and your dreams, dont stray from your goals in life to accommodate him. I met my now fiance when i was your age and he was 24. Im now 21 and he just turned 28 and there a some major differences with him going on 30 and me just hitting my 20s. I still want to go out and be 21 but he has been there done that and isnt interested. I also dropped out of school and put myself waaaaay back just to move in with him (granted my home life was hell) and i often regret the decisions i made with him.