Niko said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I’ve had a couple instances where my age was a factor in whether or not someone wanted to vent to me. Sometimes they would disconnect when they found out my age, other times they listened intently to what I had to say and chocked it up to my experience.

I’d say for the most part, my age doesn’t play a factor in my ability to give sound advice. But some feel comfortable talking to peers, which I understand completely.

In hindsight, talking to a teen about MY problems, I’d assume most teenagers would not even BEGIN to understand the type of stuff some 27 year old like ME go through either. haha

CGK said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I have to admit I feel the same. I want to vent, but I get a lot of teens, and I am 32 years old. I still vent, and they listen but I feel awkward. I think I would do much better giving advice to teens, except I dont want to be a listener right now. I will eventually, but I want to take care of my own stuff before I give out advice on how someone can take care of theirs.

And I would be afraid of a teen not wanting to talk to me because I am older. I dont have any kids but I do have very close relatives that are, so I would hope I could be understanding in most situations.

NicNac said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I don’t believe age plays a big part in being able to give sound advice. I can give sound advice just as well to someone who is 14 and one who is 40. When you give advice to younger generations, you kind of have to ‘dumb things down’ just a bit to allow them to grasp the concepts you’re trying to get it.

Getting advice from a teenager can seem awkward if you’re up there in age (I’m 22, I still feel a little awkward getting advice from a 16 year old..), but, at least they care enough to listen to you vent. Right? And I think you kind of have to make them understand a little better about what you are going through. Kind of take the advice they give you, and adapt it to your age; if that makes sense.

My big thing, is gender. For some reason a lot of people disconnect because I am a guy. I HATE gender discrimination, on either side. I probably wouldn’t be able to understand feminine problems (yes, THAT stuff), but you know relationship, depressive matters, stuff that may be pertinent to both genders; I can give just as good advice as the next person.

Apple said 10 years, 1 month ago:

I have no problem giving advice to teens. Most of the venters I meet are teens. Usually they think my advice is great, but most of the time they don’t know my age. I don’t know whether their willingness to accept my advice will change if they knew I’m 35.
But once, and only once, I joined the chat as a venter to get advice on a problem of my own. The listener called me a grandma and said this is a teen site. So I think teens are a little immature to be good listeners. You need experience in life to relate to someone and empathize.

Kitta said 10 years, 1 month ago:

I am in the “middle ground” I think. I’m 24, so my teen years are not that far behind me and I can still relate to them, however I also kind of have the adult mindset. I like being the listener, it’s therapeutic for me and even when am having a bad day sometimes listening and focusing on someone else’s problems helps. I have vented once or twice, though, and it does kind of suck to get a teen sometimes. Their world is “Homework sucks!/is he into me?!/My parents are jerks!” and I’m over here like, “May daughter hates me right now because I’d rather have gas to get to work than buy her cupcake snacks for lunch.”

Also, teenagers don’t get the idea of being completely screwed, lol. In their world, if you’re being treated unfairly you can talk to an adult, move to another class, etc. In the big leagues if your boss is a total jerk to you nine times out of ten you just gotta suck it up and keep your mouth closed because you can’t afford to live on unemployment. O.O

Swifting said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I was never a typical teenager. It was terrible for me. I didn’t go to high school. I don’t understand teenagers at all. Maybe it’s because I never was one in that sense.

As a result I much prefer to not vent or listen with teenagers.

Panktty said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I wish I could sort the listeners by age. I just did a vent, to a 17 year old, and I’m 30. I feel LAME now, and that kid had no idea what I was really talking about. Nice kid for being polite and upfront about having no life experience, though. I appreciate that :)

WalkWithMe said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Yeah, I’ve had the (dis)pleasure of being rejected by teens. I’ve also been rejected as a listener for being a female. While I respect that venters need to talk to whomever they feel comfortable, I kind of feel like, “What the heck?!” I’m 29 and I have to say, I have never felt old a day in my life. (I’m not old till I’m 85. Just sayin’!) But coming to this site just a couple days ago, it has come to my attention that I am, in fact, ancient and completely out of touch with the world because of it. Teens man, ugh! Was I one of those once? Lol.

As far as teens giving advice, I don’t agree that they can give great advice on topics that require more life experience. I mean, everyone has opinions on how they’d deal with things, but opinions are just like butt holes – everyone’s got ‘em. How can you give marital advice or advice on raising children when you’ve never lived it?

I wish there was a way to not necessarily sort everyone into age/gender groups, but to just type in your age and gender so it’s out there. Then let the venters choose from a list of waiting listeners that reveals age and gender.

n0ndescript said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Same here. I have been rejected by teens coz they think i am too old for their problems, or too old to even hear them out. I have been rejected coz someone typically wants to talk to a girl, and the moment i tell them that i m a 34 year old male..poof…many of them vanish. I guess its time they start by asking “ASL” :)

WalkWithMe said 9 years, 9 months ago:

@n0ndescript Haha! Right?! As soon as they start asking how old I am and if I’m a guy or a girl, I have this intense urge to disconnect. I also have this intense urge when asked if I’m a guy or girl to say, “I’m a woman.” But then they’ll either think I’ve got one foot in the grave or in the case of teenage boys, they’ll probably think I mean it in a sexual manner. Lol :)

haha @walkwithme . I mean, i dont even think i am that old..well maybe :) but seriously, i have that urge too. I can understand that at times, you may want a view / an advice from a specific age group or gender, but why do i need to tell you my age, sex, name (oh yeah, i have been asked that too) if you just want to vent.

DJ Not Nice said 9 years, 9 months ago:

You don’t have to say your age or gender, you can just ask if it’s relevant to their problems or issues (as in what would make them more comfortable), otherwise you’d like to keep it anonymous. I personally never disclose any unless asked to and not after I’ve asked them if it matters or not. But I guess I’m also between the too old and not old enough age for people to say “fuck off old skank” or “fuck off midget” so :P

oh you 19 year old schmuck @djnotnice :) i have tried that, as in, asking if my age or gender is relevant. and again, not generalizing, the ppl who are here just to talk to a girl or a “woman” get offended by it and anyways disconnect. But like i said, there are genuine people too who just want to vent or be heard

DJ Not Nice said 9 years, 9 months ago:

@n0ndescript Well I usually say something along the line of: “Does it matter? I mean it could, if your issue only related to a certain gender or age group.”, then they say it doesn’t or say it does, then I say it if it does. I’ve also been asked my name but I gave a fake one, and that person disconnected right away so might have been looking for someone or whatnot.

Levi-UR said 9 years, 9 months ago:

The main issue I’ve had with teens is the lack of life experience. Also they all seem to be convinced that they are the first ones to feel “this way”. The real problem for me is that i tend to ask a lot of questions when i am the listener. A lot of adults prefer that because i am not telling them what to do i am just acting as a sounding board. Teenagers hear me ask a question and think that i have no clue what they are going through. With teens for some reason i am expected to have an empathic understanding of their life. . When i vent i tend to prefer adults because many of them tend to be better at listening then teenagers. Some teenagers are awesome but a majority of these issues do not arise with adults.