MintGreenPaperclip said 10 years, 11 months ago:

I’m just wondering how you guys came out as an atheist. My immediate family knows I am an atheist but I have a hard time telling friends and such mostly because they look at you like you’re Hitler incarnate. I also live in the bible belt so that doesn’t really help me out either. Any suggestions?

Odie said 10 years, 10 months ago:

@MintGreenPaperclip I was fortunate enough not to need to “come out”, my family was atheist to begin with (moreover I live on the west coast; where I live now, we’re practically in the majority).

As with any kind of coming out, you are not obliged to do so at all. Particularly with people you don’t trust, it’s perfectly fine to be “out” to some people and not others. There’s no reason to make trouble for yourself just for the principle of it. My few gay friends are “out” but not necessarily to everyone; they still choose who knows and who doesn’t.

If you really feel that you must, and it’s with someone you trust, I suppose I would try testing the waters. When religious subjects come up, change the subject; see if anyone notices. Drop little hints and see if anyone picks it up. Things like that. Plausible deniability is important; you don’t want to give intolerant people a reason to hate you if you can help it. Again, why make trouble for yourself?

MintGreenPaperclip said 10 years, 10 months ago:

I think for the most part it would probably be easier for the people I know to know my personal beliefs. I know theirs after all. Although I do think I will probably tell people gradually instead of all at once.

kgene94 said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I also live in the bible belt so I understand the feeling. I don’t really feel like I belong here, just because almost everyone I know is a Christian and I see churches on every corner. I used to be a Christian because I thought I had to be because of where I lived. No one ever talks about other possibilities of faith. But it just wasn’t for me. And no one really understands. I can’t really talk about it to anyone, because they all get butt hurt about it. So I really just keep them to myself unless someone asks. Because unfortunately, those types of people are too close-minded to understand. Some will accept you for it, but most of them will look at you like you have two heads. I think it’s bullshit, personally, because I have to accept their views but they can’t accept mine? Anyway, I could go on about it. But if you’re brave enough to voice your opinions, do it. People might not like you for it, but who cares? We shouldn’t have to be ashamed in what we believe.

Deleted User said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I dont see why you have to come out or explain to people your religious tendencies, if someone asks, just say your an atheist, and leave it at that. If my hardcore Roman catholic Mom, who believes her only friend in the whole wide world is Jesus, can accept this fact, without explanation, granted it took a month, anyone can. You simply cant explain to die hard religious people, why youre an atheist, they think differently, its like telling a dog why you should not sniff their own butt, they wont get it

DinoRaptor101 said 10 years, 3 months ago:

I never come out as an atheist because it feels as blood in the water, so I come as “spiritual” while in fact I do recognize the existence of god. my entire definition of him however is unlike any currently existent religion :)

In the end it doesn’t matter what your faith is, it matters how good a person you are

Humanist Hope said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I just said “Well, I’m an atheist, so we have differing opinions.” in a conversation my mother was having with my sister about religion. There was no great ado, or “big reveal” involved.

I live in the heart of Georgia, so I know all about the plight of atheists and general non-Christians in the South.

theawkwardteen said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I don’t know how to post a topic so the replays will have to do i am a 6 on the Dawkins scale and I just recently came out to my dad since i attend private school (and have religion classes) and my family is catholic so we all go to church on sunday’s and holy days of obligation. Although I voiced my opinion on not wanting to go to these events my dad wants me too since they supposedly (not really) build a community but the valid point he had was to keep an open mind about religion which I guess is ok except there really is no evidence to support it. Although i did present a weak argument as too why i shouldn’t have to do these things I was wondering if you guys could help me out. PS I am 15 so his rational was for me to wait until I am 18 before I make a decision like this.

Deleted User said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I think you should not “come out” you don’t need everyone around you to know your personal beliefs. If the subject suddenly evolves about that, then if someone ask you, be straight-forward with them.
That you have just chose to be an atheist and that it’s okay to have different beliefs. That people are just different and that it doesn’t mean that you have no respect for others who are religious or not.

I believe that not everyone has to know personal things about you. If they ask, then that is that, answer what you feel like. In the end it’s your business and you should tell whomever you feel like. But I wouldn’t say you had to tell the entire world, just to ‘prove’ that you’re a real atheist. Coming out will just be telling someone once in a while and just to be sure of who you are.