Ariana said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Yes, I am an atheist, but I go to church at least once a year just for insight. I don’t agree with Christians but it’s nice to see their view on religion. It actually can inform you a bit and there can be some cool people there. I’m not changing my religion, but churches really interest me.

SoIthascometoThis said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I can’t go anymore. I haven’t been inside a place of worship in over seven years. It just seems very bizarre to witness. I don’t have a problem with most religious people, but the experiences that I’ve had when they find out that I disagree with their views has led me to avoid any situation where religion is the focal point.

Wild.Bunny said 10 years, 1 month ago:

I go to catholic churches, cathedrals and temples because I’m addicted to architecture and most are amazing. I don’t go to mass but I enjoy being there.
I had the amazing experience of listening to Mozart’s Requiem in a small chapel and it’s one of the best experiences in my life.

Ketsleh said 10 years, 1 month ago:

I go to a Unitarian Universalist church. It is a wonderful, supportive community of accepting people. A noticeable percentage of the congregation is atheist, and everyone is fine with that.
Unitarian Universalists have no creed. They allow everyone to decide what they believe and do not judge. It is a WONDERFUL place to go if you are atheist and want to have your children exposed to religion in a healthy environment where they will not be forced to believe in anything. The Sunday School classes are really just religious history education classes, where children are free to discuss their opinions on the concept of god, the stories of religious texts, etc.

imdown said 10 years, 1 month ago:

I am an atheist and i go to church out of respect for my parents (my dad is a pastor). I have several friends who are in a similar situation, none of us mind too much and everyone knows we are atheist.

io.oi said 10 years, 1 month ago:

When I hear people talk about gods or religion, or I see them indoctrinating their children, it’s hard for me to be around. While I respect other’s choices, and while I respect other’s rights to opinions just as my own, I still choose to stay away from it for the most part. The funniest part is they all think I’m crazy, and I’m like, dude, you’re praying to the ceiling right now. I love the architecture of old churches and temples, though. But that’s just me appreciating what humans can build.

Rufio said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I went as a kid because I was brought up in a Catholic community and about a year ago I tried a Christian church out of curiosity, but it feels alien to me. I just see the Bible as an old book and nothing more.

Cecily said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I loosely identify myself as christian, but I don’t attend church. Maybe it’s all in my head but I always feel like an outsider, so I prefer to keep my religious beliefs to myself.

I don’t believe in the bible. I think of God as humanity’s parent, and the bible is like a cross between a history book and all those stories and fables your parents tell you when you’re too young to understand.

And like any parent, at some point God wants us to stand on our own two feet and make our own choices. We don’t need God to make it rain, we have irrigation systems to water our crops. He’s still there, watching and ready to help if necessary, but everyone has to grow up sometime. i can’t get on board with the people who try to indoctrinate everyone to their faith; live and let live.

Wow, that turned into a mini essay. Sorry guys!

Blah said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I do, but just to make my parents happy

June R said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I don’t anymore. I was a devout catholic till about mid-high school but seeing the negative ways religion can affect people, it was just off-putting. I still have respect for the religion and all religions, really, but I prefer to follow the moralities to improve my own being, and not how to judge others. I say let their respective deities judge them on their actions at the end of their lives, i just try to be a good person for the sake of being able to like myself.

MateoElFidel said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Actually, for about 3 years or so, I’ve been kind of hiding the fact that i was an atheist. so i still went to church about twice a month with my parents. i guess the reason i never told them that soon was because i wasn’t quite sure how they’d react, or how i would begin to explain. but when i did tell them one ash wednesday, the conversation was unusually brief, it went kind of like:

“Dad, I’m an atheist.”
“Really?”
“Yeah, for a while now actually”
“Alright, just don’t get into any of those anarchist groups or anything.”

and he went back to doing what he was doing. seriously, i wonder how many sundays i could have spent doing other things had i said that earlier. anyway, i occasionally go to church, during fundraisers and one time during relief efforts.

Swifting said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I have been in churches, temples, mosques, and other religious facilities with my clients for work. I respect their religious freedom and follow the culture as expected.

The only time I have gone on my own accord was to visit my sister. She’s a nun. (only slightly awkward)

Rynthas said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I’m not an atheist but if anyone in my area that is wished to come church, I’d have no problem with it. I’m a independent now and worship at home but when I was a church-goer I always welcomed those that other people shunned. It’s a shame that Christians can’t practice their creed sometimes. And I do grow sick of them shoving their views down people’s throats. It’s ridiculous. If anyone has any Christian related questions, message me. I’ll answer and I won’t judge. Everyone should feel free to believe as they want to.

DJ Not Nice said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Yeah, I was baptized, so I could be pope. I’ve also been many times for midnight masses during Christmas, or for concerts held in churches. One time, I went in a church to take a piss, I’ve also been in churches to visit them (for their architecture or view [You can go on top of St. Paul's Cathedral in London, there's a great view; and you must go to Notre-Dame-de-la-Garde if you want an astonishing 360 degrees view of Marseille]).

Humanist Hope said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I grew up in a fundamentalist Southern Baptist household, I hated it even as a child and I have been literally dragged into church. Thankfully, the scene that it caused made the pastor confront my family and tell them not to bring me back if I didn’t want to be there.

I will occasionally attend a service, such as if it is to support a friend or family member who is being honored and that was where the ceremony is being held.

One thing I have always said is that if there is one good thing about religion, it is the sense of community. People willfully and peacefully coming together for mutual benefit and celebration is a good thing no matter how you slice it, and the world could use a hell of a lot more of that.