awesomefreak said 10 years, 10 months ago:

In my family we don’t practice any religion, we’re all atheists, and when I was in elementary school I just didn’t understand who or what god was.
This led to bullying from my classmates since I studied in a very conservative school, I was isolated by my classmates and sometimes beat up for not believing in something I just found unreal.
Even now I get secluded or acussed at for that reason but I’ve learned to overlook it.

WhereEaglesDare said 10 years, 10 months ago:

Religion as a whole does it’s best to break you if you do not believe. The fact you were bullied proves that. You were strong enough to stand your ground and that is any religions worst nightmare. They don’t like evidence that may prove them wrong, all they have is a sunset and say “What other than God could have created such a magnificent event?” I respect anyone’s beliefs, but if you have to resort to bullying to get your point across, you just lose any credibility. You are not alone, but it does suck ass feeling like second class citizens because we don’t believe. No one should have to go through what you did, but the sad fact is, they will. Our day will come. :)

Sentinel said 10 years, 10 months ago:

I lucked out and my mom just stopped taking me to church because if the fits I would throw. When she later put me into sunday school, I was threatened with hell. I was young, probably around 8, mortified by the idea of death and an eternity of pain.

I lucked out in that I went to a public school as well I grew to be incredibly tall compared to my classmates. Today, I don’t take that faith based bullying crap by any definitional of the word. We have one tremendous advantage; the tool that religion has constantly thrown under the bus: reason.

I think it is admirable that you weathered such a storm. Keep heart. Like @imagine6996 said, a day will dawn where you need not have such fears

Deleted User said 10 years, 10 months ago:

I hope you’re right @red-sentinel! And I totally agree – you seem like a great person (your username speaks for itself hehe) and it sucks that you have been and continue to be targeted like that. It shows that they’re insecure though as here you are living life without believing in what they do and it’s kind of a shame that they treat you that way because they can’t handle it. I’m so glad to hear you’ve become resilient to it, even though it still doesn’t make it all that easy. I was brought up in a family that weren’t religious either but luckily I grew up in a small town so it wasn’t much of an issue with people – in fact Christians were the minority in my school and yet they were bullied for that too.

I wouldn’t say I understand why people would be against athiests as much as I don’t really understand why people are against those who do believe.

Alisa said 10 years, 6 months ago:

I’m not an atheist, I’m a Christian (loaded statement, I know) and I hear stories like these all the time. I am so absolutely sorry to hear about things like this. It’s like, how could anyone blame you for rejecting a faith after that? There are atheists who attack religious views and religious people who attack non-believers. To me, the second is so much more messed up. In every religion’s curriculum is the aspiration for peace. Honestly, how sickening that those people were bullying in the name of their god. I’m sure whoever that god was would be completely appalled.

dumbpalomino said 10 years, 6 months ago:

I too am a Christian and I agree with what Alisa has said. We are told to love our neighbors, that my friend is not loving our neighbors. It sickens me to think that people act this way. It makes no sense at all and goes against everything we’re supposed to believe in. I’m sorry you had to go through that experience, and I apologize on their behalf.

Antierror said 10 years, 6 months ago:

The reason you were ridiculed, bullied, isolated, and so on, was not because of you lack of religion, directly, but simply because you were different. This is where group bullied comes from. What’s sad is this is not a “child phase”. Everyone does this across all ages. Even if your only part in it is giggle at the jokes or not doing anything to stop it.

The exact same would happen if it your situation was flipped, such was the life of all early Christians, but more extreme endings. Same goes for the child with excessive buck teeth or the office worker who dresses weird and smells.

This is this all to common issue of bulling. So hopefully you can take some comfort in knowing they weren’t directly bullying you because of you beliefs but because you were different, not to say that the guilty party is innocent.

As for those of you who would discredit my claims because of what side of the coin I’m on, I’m on the side of the coin.