Junels said 9 years, 1 month ago:

First of all, I want to say that, by posting this, I don’t want to offend anyone. I know that comparing cultures can sometimes create misunderstandings and tensions, so comparing cultures and religions at the same time might be even trickier. I hope you will see this post as an invitation to talk about our cultures and our points of view. I also want to say that I am not speaking for my whole nation and this is just my own point of view inspired from the culture I know. It does not mean every citizen of my country thinks the way I do and shares the same doubts so please don’t think anything starting with “The French say/think that…” after reading my post. I don’t want to take the responsibility of any diplomatic issues here ;)

Religion in my country is not really a huge deal. Many religions are represented, although there are many more Christians. Not believing in God is not a big deal either. That’s why I was very surprised when I saw this group existed. I thought “Why would people create a group where they could NOT TALK about God?”, “why would they create a group where they could share their non-belief?”. It just sounded weird to me. So I came to see what people talked about and what I read surprised me even more. It’s like being an Atheist is part of an identity that you use to find your place in society. I had never seen it that way. People comment about why they are Atheists, when to me it was just “I don’t believe because I don’t have Faith, just like I don’t believe little green men or ghosts exist. I don’t need to ask myself such question.” I was also very surprised by the question “What does it mean to be an atheist?” I can understand how a religious person could wonder about what it means to believe and to choose one religion in particular because it comes with a load of moral guide lines. Not believing in God does not give you any guide lines to follow so, to me, what should be understood is “what are your guide lines? What guides you in life?” as opposed to “What does it mean to not believe ?”. When you put it like that, it sounds to me like it’s a deep commitment to a non-believing cause and I don’t quite get the point of that.

I would like to have your point of view on all this. Does that make any sense to you guys ? Do you understand what I am trying to say and why this group is really surprising for me ?

A. said 9 years, 1 month ago:

I’ll talk about this topic once I have time, but for now, just so you understand what kind of stigma the word “atheist” has in the United States, I would like you to watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YROimcT_4bk
This is part of the reason why it’s such a big deal, even though you’re completely right that it shouldn’t be.

Kwonza said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Although I completely agree with you, atheists are basically seen as people that perform blood sacrifices on baby lambs by most of the USA.
Don’t take that literally, but essentially atheists are looked at as reckless, immortal, etc.
And that’s why it’s become an identity.
I’m from a predominantly atheist country, so I don’t really get it as much as I should.

Junels said 9 years, 1 month ago:

I am actually quite shocked by all this. How many pointless debate will be held before we start focusing on what really matters in society and in the world ?

What do you guys think could be a solution for that problem ?

Personnally, I don’t think that making it into an identity helps getting rid of the “stigma”. I disagree with the end of the video where they showin bold “#proudatheist”. According to me, it’s not something one should be proud or ashamed of. It just does not make any kind of sense to me. How can you be proud not to do something? It either means not believing in God is an achievement or a claim and in both cases, that would be wrong. Now, I understand that if there is really such a stigma against Atheists, it makes them want to stand up for their right not to believe, but I don’t think claiming this non-belief is going to help people respect everyone’s right of belief.

What do you guys thin could make people change the way they see Atheists ?

Deleted User said 9 years, 1 month ago:

I think the image of atheists is changing, and will continue to be more kindly recognized as more people become openly atheist and religious people recognize that atheism isn’t the abashment of morals.

You said in your culture religion isn’t a big deal, but as others have said some places in the US it is a big deal, and I’ve met many people who assumed I shared their religious convictions. Or treat me differently when they find out I don’t believe in (their) god.