Mary S. said 7 years, 4 months ago:

I never really understood extreme greed, especially in these past few years. In these past few years, all I wanted was less. I wanted less pain, less sadness, less depression, less anxiety and less life. But I suppose, it makes me a bit greedy for wanting so many of less too.

It wasn’t until about a year and a half ago that I began to want more. More of one of the most cliche things to be greedy of: time. But, of course, times that are happy eventually burn like paper until there is nothing left but ashes. And even when the great fire dissipates, there is still nothing but embers and ashes left. I heard after destruction comes growth, but fire spreads fast and growth takes years.

About a year and a half ago, growth began again. And it wasn’t just individual blades of grass that grew. Tall, elder oak trees grew and flourished in the once bare and desolate land. Animals thrived here, and the ones that didn’t envied the creatures that were blessed to live upon such a fruitful land.

However, as time passed, the animals noticed the wind would blow just a little too hard, and the nights were just a little too long. But the sun reassured them. The sun said that it would always warm and care for the creatures despite being so far away.

And the sun did everything it could to make the animals happy. The sun was everything to the animals and plants that grew from me. Until one day the sun’s rays shined too bright.

The animals begged the sun to cool down, though, the sun couldn’t help it’s flares. The sun’s rays were fueled by its love for the life on the land. It could not stop its harsh rays because it could not stop the love that created them.

The animals begged the sun to show its love and lower the heat, but the sun loved the animals in a different way.

The life on the land had only been able to seek comfort from the sun. They tried to seek comfort from it again, but how can they get over the pain of the heat when talking to the sun?

As time went on, the sun loved the life even more because it was being lost, causing the life to catch on flames. And all too quickly, the life on the land, the land of life was destroyed and everything no longer laid.

Now all that is left is me, the desert, which is filled with sand that burns bare skin. Life no longer grows on this once prosperous land. And even though the sun caused its great fire, this desert cannot live without its sun. Because without its sun, it is nothing but a hungry darkness. An insatiable darkness that hungers

for less.

SigmaSuccour said 7 years, 4 months ago:

*Claps incessantly* (O_O)
Just beautiful… *thumbs up*

Deleted User said 7 years, 4 months ago:

@marye-s Your mind is a beautiful place, it’s not surprising that the writing that comes out of it is beautiful too.

mariko said 7 years, 4 months ago:

@marye-s very well done. Extremly well written and truly came from the heart. Beautiful work :) Lots of respect towards you