Deleted User said 9 years, 11 months ago:

So I want ideas on my first ever pet, as well, Ive never had the joy of having one.

Dogs – I am not sure on this, as I used to be shit scared of them, then I started intimidating them instead, to overcome the fear, so I dont know If I can manage them, but, suggest, Smart, loyal, I always found the kinds of dogs used in military fascinating.
Cats – Not Interested.
Bird – I dont mind some kind of bird, but I hate the idea of a caged bird, so not sure on that one either.

I need something thats intelligent, a survivor, and well not to difficult to manage.

SUGGESTIONS??

Tanisia01 said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I would definitely recommend a dog. One: because I am a dog person and I know they can be the best things in a persons life. Two: You say you used to be scared of dogs, but if you adopt a puppy, you are much more likely to treat it as it should be treated because it won’t intimidate you.
I suggest looking at dog breeds online and taking a small “what dog is best for you” quiz ( http://www.pedigree.com/All-Things-Dog/Select-A-Dog/Default.aspx ), so that you know all the commitment that goes into a dog as well as choosing a breed that you can take care of effectively. Some breeds shed constantly or have very long fur that needs grooming, and some are very hyper and need to be exercised for several hours a day. If you are not prepared or don’t have enough time to deal with these individual needs, it’s important to know the breed that wouldn’t require this attention. Also, since this will be your first pet, I suggest taking it to a dog trainer or at least learning how to train it properly, so that it knows where to pee and how to walk on a leash, etc. Dogs can be the best thing in the world, or they can be your worst nightmare, depending on training and breed compatibility. Choose wisely, and I wish you the best of luck!

Hmm thanks for the info:), will def look more into it

lol that quiz gave me all cupcake dogs, apparently I wouldnt have time or space for a big dog, I dont really want some small dog, rather a puppy that will grow into a large dog!!!
But, I guess at the moment, I dont have resources or time for a dog of that specifics..

A turtle.

@theclearmind sounds nice actually:)
Fuck it, ima gonna get a turtle friend when I have the chance!

still open to something cooler than a turtle;p

Chris said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Look into getting a snake :) I have a ball python and he’s super chill and easy to take care of. The setup is expensive in the beginning, but it’s not so bad afterwards. They only eat once a week, don’t need a lot of attention (but don’t care if you do decide to handle regularly), don’t poop much, etc. They’re really awesome and everyone thinks it’s so cool as well :) But also consider their lifespan because they do live for a long time (ex, ball pythons live about 30 years).

Good luck on your search :)

Dragonfly said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Growing up I had an Iguana. They are pretty awesome! If you get it as a baby and socialize it and take good care of it then it will be a wonderful pet. They live a pretty long time and are pretty low maintenance.

Slim Jim said 9 years, 11 months ago:

As someone who’s raised three turtles from eggs, I can definitely approve of having one as a pet; however, it’s really, really, REALLY important to keep in mind that, although they don’t really require any physical attention, other than feeding, they can be VERY messy. I have turtles in one tank, and I have to clean out the filters every day, replace them about once every two weeks, and do a full water change (30 gallons) about once a month. They can also smell, and while I’m pretty well used to it, it might not be best for everyone.

All that being said, if you do decide to get one, remember to think ahead: most domestic turtle species (The most common is the red-eared slider) can get up to, or over, a foot in length, and will require a larger tank as they grow (and with that comes a larger filter, and more water). They can also live for many decades- some over fifty years, so be prepared to take care of them for a long time.

As a final note, turtles are definitely cool! Don’t think that just because they’re kind of slow, and you can’t handle them much means that they aren’t an interesting pet to have. I’ve had mine for over seven years, and I still love to just sit and watch them swim or eat.

Resources:

http://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-a-Red-Eared-Slider-Turtle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-eared_slider

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm

Haha OH turtles do require a lot.. what about hamsters? Or a bunny in the garden or something. :Y
Or a snake, you seem to only want a pet for the benefits and not actually take care of it. Lol. @limitless maan

Ye I just want something I can fall in love with, but, not that ill end up neglecting coz of some BS:(..im still leaning to dog though again, i just realized he might be the companion i need in my bouts of getting away from it all.
Like i was thinking this,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Shepherd_Dog

@theclearmind

and i cant do snakes brah, something about them makes me leery..
a belgian shepard would be cool too, raise this beast into a monster

@limitless you want a monster of dog to be sweet and cuddly for only you? Haha sounds like teen-girl’s wants, on a thug-guy.

I think dogs are one of the easiest pets to bond with (at least you feel that you do)..
But that dog ^ needs about 45 minutes of walking, loads of food everyday.. small dogs is what you should get, if you are thinking that some BS will stop you from having time to nurture it.
It is really good looking though !

wow teen girl!!!;p, i do have those tendencies!! ye but i think id get a dog, when I find a place with garden and like more income, till then any other pet seems like a compromise

@limitless By the sounds of it, a dog would be the best bet. Once you get past the puppy/training stages having a dog is easy maintenance and they will always be loyal to you.

A note on birds (because no one mentioned anything :) ) They can be amazing companions if you’re up to the maintenance, and depending on the species, time involved in training. It is possible to have cage free birds. I have a cockatoo, and I used to take her almost everywhere with me. Stores, parks, events, pretty much everywhere except for places that sell food. All without any restraint on her. And yes, she can fly. She’s the best animal companion I’ve ever had, and she’ll be around for at least 75 years.

Obviously though, birds can be a hassle for someone on the go a lot. They are best suited for people who absolutely know they are bird-people.

I still suggest a dog. lol